**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the first one is quite close. Here you are enlarged area of a pic with the dragon emblem. I also converted it into a negative image. Its shape and white areas can be seen quite good.

Attachments

• Spit_YoV_1.jpg
    Spit_YoV_1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Spit_YoV_1negative.jpg
    Spit_YoV_1negative.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 92
Nice work Paul as for the dragon the middle one.

Thanks for the input everyone. Wojtek, thanks for the photo work. I too, think that 1 looks the most like the one on MH650, but as 2 looks the best, and hand painted squadron insignia could vary from plane to plane, it will be 2.

Yep, I agree. As for the size, it probably won't look as stark once the matt clear coat is on.
I am hoping that the windscreen framing will also help make it look a little smaller. If nothing else I'll go with the example of the AVG P-40's; there is one famous pict of one of the squadrons that shows a variety of "shark mouths". (Or it might have been the RAF squadron that started the practice in the first place...I can't remember.)
I had a heck of a time getting that to settle in. It took repeated applications of microset over the course of several hours to make it lay down. It is a touch thick, but I hope that it will disappear after a coat of future. Guess that's what I get for using gloss, when I do the RAF crest for over the fin flash I will use flats.
One question about the crest, one side or both?
I will have to do some repair as I managed to break off the port landing gear. It is somewhere on the desk.
More after I do some, (shudder!), CLEANING!

Not 100% sure about the crest, but if on the fin, those (few) squadrons who applied one tended to do it both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back