**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Must be all that Alzheimer's Ale I've been drinking! Only a Leap Year every four years, therefore I only have a Birthday every four years, therefore, by birth dates, I'm only 15. Good, innit?!!

There are days when I wish I was 15 again....
Had some bad luck with the decals, I had some proper roundels from a spitfire of many moons ago that would have been perfect. I gave them a coat of liquid decal film, but I guess they were just too old to work as they were so cracked that they splintered coming off the paper. Now I also have some markings from the venerable Monogram P-40...
I guess it might be possible that this early mk-IX could have recieved these markings, I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere. So instead of the heavily worn LZ895, it will be the newly arrived LZ895, in classic NA markings. There doesn't seem to be much other choice for me, as I can't find any other decals that would work.

Which decals do you need? I probably have some spare which would fit the bill which I can send via Air Mail.

Thank you both for the kind offers! This is what I have for national markings, I am not happy with the size of them as they are for a P-40B. I have some british numbers and letters, should be able to pull off the LZ895, and the V squadron code. The wing walk and underwing stenciling I can use from the original kit decals, they are a bit fuzzy but they will work, I think. If you have better that you could spare I would greatly appreciate it!

spit-31.jpg

OK, the upper wing roundels you have are fine, but you need 'Type C1' fuselage roundels, and 'Type C' for the underside of the wings. The fuselage roundels you have are the earlier style 'A1', and the under wing roundels you have are too large.
I'll see what I have in the correct size/style and let you know.

Terry and Dave, I have quite a few laying around at this point if you need to fill in any holes. Just give a shout. Terry helped me out and now I'm passing it on.

Paul, I've checked my spare decal files, and the only spare 'C1' fuselage roundels I have in the correct size are out of register, so about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!
So far, I haven't found any 'C' type (under wing) of the required size either.
Can anyone else help out?
Really sorry Paul.

Terry, Dave and Bruce, I thank you all once again! I think I may be able to use my underwing decals, as I have tried a second coat of liquid film on some others on the sheet and with carefull handling they stayed together. My main concern was for the upperwing roundels; I was thinking that they looked wrong. Glad to hear that they are O.k. I will use the other decals, (with a couple of tweeks) to represent LZ895 early or about mid-point in her career.
Artistic licence, I guess.
Anyways, here's weathering

spit-32.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Paul. If you can get some proper fuselage roundels it'll be much better, as the wide yellow surround went out of use in late 1941/early'42 - long before the MkIX or MkVII/MkVIII emerged.

If you have a clear decal sheet I can makea JPG file with markings you need Paul. Just like for Charles' Spifire floatplane. Then you could print it yourself.

Yep, that's the ones Bruce, and I think Paul might also need the smaller under-wing roundels, red/white/blue, with the large red centre and narrow white between blue and red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back