**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It looks like the "sky" band is over-painted on the sides and top.
Also, the "V" squadron code is in a different position than on the picts I found...???

Just found the unit in my "RAF and Commonwealth Squadrons ..." book. The Squadron code 'V' is at the rear on all aircraft, with the individual letter forward of the roundel, example 'T - V', serial number JK531.
Most aircraft appear to be in standard day-fighter camouflage, without the 'Sky' band, which is correct for this theatre. Some aircraft have had the band over-painted, and at least one aircraft, 'D - V' seems to lack under wing roundels. The tonal reproduction in the B&W photos suggests that the underside colour might be something other than Medium Sea Grey, possibly 'Sky', but this can't be confirmed, and may just be the effect of the light.
The tones also suggest a possible difference in the upper surface colours, as the grey appears lighter than normal in one photo, but again, this is probably the light.

Agree with Terry that a serial number would be very helpful to determine the likely configuration.

I found a site that lists every spitfire and seafire made, (spitfires.ukf.net) but sorting out "who went where" is a bit of a task.
Terry, could you post those picts please, I tried to google "1435 squadron spitfire IX" but only got the ones I have already seen.
I would gladly do one of those that you have identified!

Only got the one pic in the book, and an example code/serial, but no problem, I'll scan and post it tomorrow - having bl**dy awful internet connection problems at the moment.

Thanks, Terry!
As you know, I am using one of your previous builds of this ICM kit as my guide.
Well, here's progress.

spit-4.jpg

Looks like it's coming along pretty good Paul. I can't get over how much the surface of your work bench looks like mine, right down to the little bits of tape. :lol:

Here's that pic. I have a feeling I might have more, but it'll take some time to find, digging into the relevant books.

Attachments

• Can Jan 611.jpg
    Can Jan 611.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 86
Great. It seems that all Spits of the squadron had these ID bands on fuselages overpainted or didn't paint at all at that time. Am I right that these planes with red spinners and the white rings at their back indicated planes being used in the N.Africa previously?

The Squadron began operations from Luqa, Malta, as a Flight in 1942, taking over the number 1435 from a Beaufighter Flight which had been disbanded, before receiving Squadron status.(At that time equipped with Spit MkVs.)
It's possible that the red spinners were used then, a common marking in that Theatre. I thought at first that maybe the camouflage of Mid Stone and Dark Earth had maybe been over-painted with Dark Green on the Dark Earth areas, and that the under sides might have been Azure.
BUT!
Having looked closely at the photo I posted, I now note that it was taken using Orthochromatic film, which has altered the tonal qualities (note the tones in the fuselage roundel). To be on the dafe side, I think I would go for standard Dark Green, Ocean Grey (or maybe Mixed Grey) and Medium Sea Grey camouflage.

I think you are right. The Orthochromatic film gives a such effects. The image posted by me above was taken with the same kind of the photographic plate.

Gentlemen, I thank you for the information, I agree that the grey, green, grey, with no band is the safest bet.
Is that the "JK531"?
"MA419", and I believe its "WH650" in Wurgers photo, are also in the running; I will have to see what I can cobble together from my decal box!
From what I can gather the red spinner is the African/ Med identification thing carried over into the Italian campaign.

Here is the IP and an oxygen hose I made with some copper wire. Used the "white paint scratch" method for the needle, ball, airspeed stuff. Drop of Future on them and good to go.
Coming next, wires and such!

spit-5.jpg

JK531 Vc CBAF M46 38MU 13-3-43 222MU 28-3-43 SS679 12-4-43 Casablanca 25-4-43 145MU FTR ops 10-5-43 cancel NAfrica 1-7-43 118MU Malta 31-1-44 Middle East 21-6-45 Rudder jammed on landing swung and u/c collapsed

MA419 IX CBAF M61 9MU 19-7-43 47MU 5-8-43 Empire Prss 5-8-43 Casablanca 18-8-43 218Grp NAfrica 30-11-43 Engine cut abandoned 25m NE of Brindisi 13-6-44 SOC 31-8-44

I think the other one is "MH 650". not WH:

MH650 IX CBAF M63 39MU 23-8-43 47MU 1-9-43 Empire Grebe 15-9-43 Casablanca 29-9-43 NAfricanASC 31-10-43 1435S 73S 253S SOC 14-3-46

This last one is the only one that mentions service in 1435 squadron.

Source: Spitfire - Main

Last edited:
Good stuff Andy. I've checked the same in the 'Bible' (Shacklady book), and yes, that'll be MH650, not WH.
In the RAF Commonwealth Squadrons book, JK531 is shown as being on strength at some time, with the individual code letter 'T' (that is, 'V-T' with the 'V' to the rear on both sides.)

Good stuff Andy. I've checked the same in the 'Bible' (Shacklady book), and yes, that'll be MH650, not WH.
In the RAF Commonwealth Squadrons book, JK531 is shown as being on strength at some time, with the individual code letter 'T' (that is, 'V-T' with the 'V' to the rear on both sides.)
In the photo I posted, ' D ' appears to be MH198. (D-V, MH198).

Outstanding! You guys are the greatest!
MH-650 it is!
The accumulated and shared knowledge on this site is amazing, meeting fellow enthusiasts from around the world has been a real joy.
This internet thing may just catch on!
I can't believe I missed the "seral # by squadron" section.
Now, on to these questions, (thanks in advance!)
Given the planes history, Nafrica then 1435, 73, and 253 squadrons,
Could that be Middlestone, green and sky?
Or do you think it is the grey, green, grey, mixed "on site" and just looks weird? (That's my hope, as I have a lot of greens and greys.)
It appears that the "sky" band has been painted over with a darker shade of green, but only down to the demarcation line.
Also the rudder looks to have the same "darker green" on the lower half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back