**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good so far Paul. If I recall, the ICM Merlin, though nicely detailed, looks more like an earlier version than the M63 you'll want in yours.

Looking good so far Paul. If I recall, the ICM Merlin, though nicely detailed, looks more like an earlier version than the M63 you'll want in yours.
From what I've heard the panels won't fit if the engine is fully assembled, I'm more of a 'pit and gear man, so probably wouldn't but that pretty much seals the deal!

Thanks to one and all for the kind words, But a great big THANK YOU to Wojtek and Terry for the wealth of information regarding a rather obscure bunch of Spitfires.
I feel that I may just get this one right!
I'm really leaning towards the MH-660 as it had a long and varied history. If it was delivered in "factory" finish, painted for the med, then possibly repainted for Italy, well,
how could I go wrong?!?!
Seems to me that anything short of pink and purple is good.
I am fond of the grey, green, grey, however.:lol:

The major parts of the cockpit coming together. I was not happy with the kit seat, so some modifications were in order.
I thinned down and shaped the sides, cut the slot into the right side, hollowed out the parachute trough, and added the flare box on the front.
Sutton straps made with heavy foil and copper wire strands.
The oxygen bottle is hooked up to the hose and has foil straps holding it to its shelf.
It's hard to see, but the rudder pedals have the leather straps on them. (Foil again!)
The stick gets some work next, but that will have to wait till morning!

spit-9.jpg

spit-10.jpg

spit-11.jpg

I have been studying old build posts of this ICM kit, and I think that the company must have addressed some of the problems.
My IP was free of the "finger print swirls" that others have had, and the 'pit parts cleaned up very well. I buttoned up the cockpit and everything lined up and fit perfectly.
Here's a couple of shots before the closing of the halves.

spit-12.jpg

spit-13.jpg

nice, Paul the only problems i had when i built my MkIX ICM kit was with the front end !
could not get the panels around the engine, i ended up cutting it down almost to a level with the exhausts so i could get the top panel to fit, i know others on here who left the engine out all together

nice, Paul the only problems i had when i built my MkIX ICM kit was with the front end !
could not get the panels around the engine, i ended up cutting it down almost to a level with the exhausts so i could get the top panel to fit, i know others on here who left the engine out all together
Yep, gonna put a plate behind the exhausts so they can be added later, and glue the shaft thingie to the front for the fan and call it a merlin!

Looking great Paul!. I cut a disk out of plastic sheet the size of that front plate and carefully aligned and glued the fuselage sides to it, then when dry added the lower and upper panels, and the fit was OK. Just glues the prop hub on when the time came. Had a lot more trouble with the lower wing to rear fuselage and upper wing to fuselage joints. Lots of CA filler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back