**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I ordered the paint last night. I've never tried Vallejo paint but have heard good things about it, so... got dark earth, middlestone and intermediate blue. I asked my wife and a good friend, separately, to look at two sets of color profiles, one in the grey, green, grey, and the other in the Med/Africa, and then look at the B/W photos of MH660. Without hesitation, and with no hints from me, they both chose, ...
Well, you get the idea.
And... as long as I had the nice girl from Squadron on the phone, I got a couple of kits for some future GB's.
A Revell/Monogram F-8 Crusader to go with the Hasi F6F I already have for the Carrier GB,
A Testors R3C-2 Curtiss racer, (extensive scratching coming up!) to go with the Arii K5y Willow for the Between the Wars one.
And because I am a glutton for punishment I decided to get the Lindberg F-94C, a kit that I had as a kid, and try to scratch in the entire thing. As some of you will remember, this was one of those really early kits that were basically hollow inside. No wheel wells, no engine, no cockpit, I think it just has a couple of sink marked pilot figures molded to the seats.
Not for a GB, but apparently because I'm insane.

Anyways, back to the Spit,
I cut away a little too much and had to shim a little on the port wing fairing, and the wing to fuselage needed a bit of sprue.
Chin needs work.

spit-19.jpg

spit-20.jpg

Last edited:
Progressing nicely Paul and you won't go wrong with the Vallejo paints, they give a nice smooth satin looking finish but I have been warned that they do not sit well with enamel paints so if your doing say a camo, it either has to be all enamel or all acrylic paints. It also looks as though you had a good spend and have got yourself set up for the next couple of builds.

Many thanks to all! Vic, I WAS (very past tense, now) planning to use some enamel, Thanks for the heads-up!
After glueing it on, (about 2 hours later), I noticed the top cover for the engine was too narrow at the rear. I removed it, spread it out and now it fits.
The blanks are in position and ready for the exhausts, after painting.
The chin scoop has been filled and sanded.
There was a small "step" where the wings fit the fuselage, this has been filled, sanded down, and rescribed.
D@mn, this ICM plastic is soft! It is almost possible to rescribe lines with a fingernail. O.k. maybe not, but I can tell you that it's really easy to f*#% up!
Here's progress.

spit-22.jpg

spit-21.jpg

Next comes some "fiddly bits", radiator detail and such...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back