**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking great Paul!
I made the Curtiss Racer and it's a nice basic kit, plenty of room for scratch building. The Lindberg F-94C scares me though. I looked at one to go with my F-94B, and from the photo on the box the shape of the whole thing just looks wrong.

I was hoping that the basic shape was close enough to get by, it's more of a nostalga thing...
The Curtiss is getting a cockpit, for sure. Still looking for a figure to represent Doolittle.

While I've been waiting on the paint, I have found several more Mk IX's assigned to 1435 squadron.
LZ895, LZ992, MA469 and MA474. These all share a common denominator with the previously identified MH660 and MH650, (identified both numbers with the spit serial site, both were in 1435 squadron, hence the ID problem) They were all delivered to Casablanca first, and then to the same maintainance depot. If all these Spits were delivered in basicaly the same batch, then wouldn't they have had pretty much the same finish?
I have perused the archives of this site, and found a solution.
This is a Spitfire Mk.IX, early, assigned to 1435 squadron just out of Malta, supporting the Sicily invasion, and up into Italy.
Given my limited decal supplies and cleverness, I hope to represent one of these aircraft properly.
I have to ask for the Mods to change my heading for this build.
Sorry, This thing has taken a life of it's own, and it will not change again. It's a Spitfire MkIX, I promise. Really.

Anyways, here's something. I white-glued the old door in place in prep for the paint arriving any day now.....,..,...,...,....,....

spit-23.jpg

The white spot aren't glue, they are weird things that have showed up. (kind of like ghosts or your aunt edna after a few drinks), anyways, the door is secure.

Hoorah, Hoorah! My paint showed up today!
Now for the problem, (and you know that there would be one), should the blue be that dark?
It is really darker than the photo shows. I am not familiar with Vallejo paints.
On the up side, here are some of my future builds, arrived with the paint!

spit-24.jpg

spit-25.jpg

Some good stuff there. Hard to tell exactly about the blue paint, looking through the semi-opaque bottle, but if it's 'Azure' or 'Mediterranean Blue' then yes, they were about that shade. It won't look quite as dark once applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back