**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Over the last couple if days, I attacked the frame on windscreen that was too wide. I didn't take any sequential shots but basically I carefully scored the frame with a sharp blade and then scraped the clear plastic flush with a round edged blade. I tried to dab some Future on at this point to see how it looked but it wasn't quite up to snuff as you could still see the roughened surface.

So I made myself a sanding stick using a piece of sprue filed to a chisel edge and then CA glued a strip of fine sand paper to it.

I sanded down the area and then polished it with toothpaste rubbed in with a toothpick with a flattened edge that I cut into it. When that was done and rinsed, I tilted the model so that the windscreen was horizontal and dabbed a pool of Future onto the pane, doing the second side the same way after the first one had set.

This is how it looks now. The result is not perfect bit it's acceptable. (It looks no worse than some of the other ICM clear parts!).

The frame looks a bit ragged at this point as it has lost some of its paint during the repair. I'll now mask these areas again, apply some cockpit green over the chipped areas and then move on. In the background of the last photo, you can see that I've begun to mask the recognition marks in prep for the camo paint. Thanks for looking in.

Yep, good stuff Andy!

Have pics backing up both versions of Terry's tail band comment - overpainted SEAC fin flash, and masked fin flashes overlapping band. Can post a bit later on if you like.

Here's how I went about the masking:

Borrowed a clean windscreen from my unbuilt ICM Mk. XVI which is identical to the one on my Mk. VIII.

Taped a piece of paper to it tightly and traced the outline of the frame with a pencil:

Cut out the pattern, allowing for the extra area of the revised pane and traced the shape onto masking tape. The pattern was flipped over for the opposite side.

With minor adjustments, I got a better mask than the first one and I've now applied the interior green and am ready to get on with the camo (except for that little bit of missing scribe line under the forward windscreen - will fix that next.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread