**** DONE: 1/48 Ta 152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for checking in guys! I'm back from my two week trip to Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan. I spent this last week processing the over 2,500 pictures that I took during the trip and posting them on Facebook. I'm almost at the point where I can venture back into the workshop and resume my builds.

After taking such a long break from modeling, it took a bit of discipline to get back in there and pick up from where I left off. The Ta 152H was sitting on my work table with the pre-shading done and a coat of RLM 76 applied to the bottom and sides. Not having any good data on any H-1 machines other than Green 9, I made the executive decision to model that oft-depicted machine. So... the next step for me was to paint part of the undersides in natural metal. I didn't have any clear references as to the extent of the natural metal areas on the bottom so I just took a good guess.

The area was masked off with Tamiya tape and Post-its and treated with base coat of Tamiya Black. Alclad White Aluminum was used for the majority of the area with a central sub-panel painted in Dark Aluminum.
IMG_1092_zpsvzneboya.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsytjc5gmu.jpg

The interior sides of the flaps were given a black base and then a RLM02 overcoat.
IMG_1093_zps7qmg4ozz.jpg

The top side camo is next. I'll need to create mixes of RLM 82 and 83 from the Tamiya and Gunze-Sangyo colors that I already have. The "power egg" will be masked off and painted a darker green. Thanks for checking in!

Thanks peeps! Continuing with the painting of Green 9... the upper wings and stabs were masked off and painted first with the lighter RLM 82 green. Referencing Wayne's 1/32 build of Green 9, I tested and used Tamiya XF67 Nato Green for this color.
IMG_1107_zpsklucoi8g.jpg

The darker RLM 83 green was a Gunze Sangyo color that I had laying around. The camo demarcation was simply free-handed with the airbrush.
IMG_1108_zpscqqccnzk.jpg

IMG_1109_zpsgnwmck16.jpg

After the upper surfaces have been painted, the masking tape is removed to prepare for fuselage painting in the same two colors.
IMG_1110_zpsbiljrq7q.jpg

The upper mottling is done.
IMG_1111_zpscjq9c4ml.jpg

IMG_1112_zpscnfjnfdt.jpg

The "power egg" including the upper cowling between the engine and the windscreen is masked off and painted in a darker green.
IMG_1113_zpswnnf9xun.jpg

IMG_1114_zpsko1sqlnk.jpg

Next will be red and yellow fuselage bands. I'm also going to pull out my Montex D-9 masks to see if I can use cross masks instead of decals. Thanks for checking in!

Thanks for the comment guys! Painting continues... I added the red and yellow fuselage bands.
IMG_1115_zpspbko78k1.jpg

The cowl flap membranes were masked and painted dark aluminum.
IMG_1116_zps64zcox6z.jpg

I recycled the vinyl Montex masks for the Hobby Boss 190D-9 to paint the upper wing crosses.
IMG_1117_zpsehn8ipof.jpg

The lower wing crosses and tail swastikas were also masked and painted.
IMG_1118_zpscsojaflq.jpg

IMG_1119_zpszizptf0j.jpg

I did not have the appropriate size masks for the fuselage crosses so I'll either use decals or cut my own masks. Finally the exhausts were masked off and repainted.
IMG_1120_zpsit7c3pj9.jpg

Thanks fellas! A few days work to report on. A gloss coat was put on in preparation for decals. I've been playing around with my primary gloss coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss) the last couple of models. For this coat, I tried thinning the Aqua Gloss with a bit of Mr Leveling Thinner. This thinner seemed to thicken the Aqua Gloss in the airbrush cup but it sprayed pretty well.
IMG_1121_zpsrm0ndtcv.jpg

I softened the wing edge scallops, which were hard-masked with tape, with my airbrush.
IMG_1123_zpsbsaugplg.jpg

The decals were applied using a combination of Microset/Microsol and a first try of Solvaset. I didn't notice any huge difference between Microsol and Solvaset on these Z-M decals. The decals were sealed using a light coat of Aqua Gloss.
IMG_1124_zpsriwkkji2.jpg

IMG_1125_zpsdwp4syad.jpg

After the decals were done, I did a little post shading on the lighter surfaces using a very diluted brown.
IMG_1126_zpsxyxmhfpd.jpg

IMG_1128_zpsp8b8y3xd.jpg

The tail werk number decal ended up crooked up so I had to scrape it off, sand it down and repaint the tip of the rudder. Luckily, Z-M supplies a few full sets of the werk number decals.
IMG_1129_zpstir6qsic.jpg

The exhaust stains were added using built up layers of brown to black.
IMG_1130_zps9y8v0mdt.jpg

I'll let this sit awhile and then I'm going to do a panel wash.
IMG_1131_zpsre2povup.jpg

The bottom and sides were given a panel wash of dark brown.
IMG_1132_zps1nphbtwa.jpg

IMG_1133_zpsrpvclpng.jpg

IMG_1136_zps1ypt2xax.jpg

The upper wings and the darker portions of the fuselage were given a panel wash of black lightened slightly with brown.
IMG_1134_zpsnhyzqoay.jpg

The tail with the repainted rudder and new werk number codes.
IMG_1135_zps3kfqxpf4.jpg

A flat coat was applied after the panel washing was complete.
IMG_1138_zpsjapyhqtv.jpg

IMG_1137_zpswm9gtbjd.jpg

IMG_1140_zpsifc8mla7.jpg

IMG_1139_zpstaskayrq.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back