**** DONE: 1/48 TBM-1C Grumman Avenger VC-13 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It looks harder than it is. Major props (pun intended) to you for doing the different version of the ASW paint scheme, it will be very rewarding once it is done.

Light gull gray squirted on tonight. Mix is Tamiya 1:XF-19 + 1:X-1 (I didn't have the flat white so used gloss). Original recommendation on a colour chart I saw only used half the white but I found the mix to be too dark. Will do a bit of post shading later but here are the pics of how it looks at the moment.

Looks great, wait till the dark gull grey hits the paint scheme, then the colors err I mean shades of grey will really pop! I am almost to the point of spraying exterior paint. About to assemble the fuselage between tonight and tomorrow.

Patience Paul, couple of things to fix first. Red arrows = accidentally brushed against the wet paint and spray over is not acceptable (never is really but I tried anyway - definition of insanity??). Blue arrow shows a file mark on the plastic that I neglected to repair, not thinking that it would be that bad but now that I see it with paint on it in such a prominent position, I'll need to fix it. All fixes are minor and will be easily done with a bit of wet sanding and respray. Likely won't see the dark gull gray til the weekend.

Meantime, if anyone has any info on the order of battle for VC-13 and the likely load out of Black 2 in the below picture, I'd love to hear it. I'll be building this particular aircraft but see no evidence of the commonly used rockets. Also, check out the light, wavey areas where the main wing meets the fuselage. Is this a fault with the image, camo paint, or weathering?

I think that falls under weathering. Looks like some wear and tear to the paint.

Also no need to go too crazy fixing blemishes in the cowl. During maintenance it is known for panels to get dings, scrapes, scratches and dents with dropping or parts falling on them once removed.

Looking good Andy. All these Avenger builds had me putting mine back on the bench to get going on it again.

Thanks guys and while I agree with you that dings and marred paint might represent reality, the true reality is that these would never escape the notice of a model contest judge. No fix as yet - busy building crates for Mossie parts last night.

Users who are viewing this thread