**** DONE: 1/48 TBM-1C Grumman Avenger VC-13 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all the nice comments guys - very much appreciated

So it looks like you're doing a TBF-1C but isn't that ip for a TBM-3? I think I ran into the same thing and the instructions called for the wrong ip.

Not sure Jason. I don't know enough about this plane to tell the difference but all I know is there's still another IP on the sprue so it's quite possible I put the wrong one in. Oh well, it ain't comin' out now that's for sure!

Anyway, the Future coat has been sprayed on and decals have been started. The insignia decals are a bit on the big side when comparing with the pic of Black 2 above but I don't have a spare set of the right size laying around so I'm going to turn a blind eye to this.

1210172.jpg

After a couple of hours working on Photoshop, I was able to create the "flippin' cat" crest from the sample posted by Kojo (thanks buddy!) and the black 2 from a profile scan and get these printed onto decal paper. I'm letting the ink dry overnight before applying a sealer onto these. The density of the black is not quite up to a highest standard but it will do.

1210171.jpg

May actually get this one done on the weekend, insha-Allah, but there's other stuff that may get in the way so we'll just have to see.

Yeah thats the -3 IP, no biggy though. Cant wait to see those decals on your plane!!!

Nice work Andy. I know what you mean about the density of the black on the decals, but it's not really that noticeable when they're in position. The coloured decals will probably lose density when on the model though - I tend to do this type on white decal paper, and trim as close as possible, then re-touch the surrounding area if needed.

Andy that's looking really great and that's a nice touch with the decals. By the way you said you sprayed the Future(called Pledge Klear in the UK) what pressure and size needle do you use? I've never tried spraying, always used a soft brush, so would be curious to know.
Vaughan

Cheers fellas.

Terry, I plan to paint some white discs on the model before applying the cat crests. Hopefully that will make the colours stay fresh. The white paper is always an option if not.

Vaughan, for the Future, I used my Paasche VL with the medium (#3) tip at 15 to 20psi. Not sure how that may translate to other airbrushes but the point is I do not use a fine tip.

Sealer has been spreayed on the home made decals and I'll continue today.

Thanks guys, and here they are. First painted on a white disc on both sides to maintain the colours and provide the white background for the cat, then added the decals. Not the best but from normal viewing distance they're fine.

1210191.jpg

1210192.jpg

1210193.jpg

In an effort to improve the density of the black 2 decals, I went over 1 pair of them with a fine permanent ink pen. After allowing these to dry and applying sealer, I'll see if these go on better and will have the original 2 as back-up.

1210194.jpg

I like! I think it came out really well. It has a nice weathered look to it and seeing that it is located where oil stains were known to track and the fact that these group insignias were not as tough as the base paint, it would take its fair share of weathering, wear and tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back