**** DONE: 1/48 TBM-1C Grumman Avenger VC-13 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With such a beautiful weekend for weather, I decided to grab this kit and a couple of tools and sacked out on the lounger outside to get a couple of parts together. As many of you know, the quality of the parts in this kit is impeccable, in many cases rivaling some good resin after market bits. After assembling as much of the cockpit as I dared before getting some paint splashed on, I took the pictures at the end of the post to demonstrate the detail provided.

I assembled the engine cylinder banks but did not take pictures. It was here that an odd problem with the kit showed itself, in that the locating pins fro the engine halves were incorrectly placed. The pins, if lines up with their holes, would have made the cylinders in the front bank in line with those in the back whereas they should be offset. An easy fix, it was off with the pins and the engine went together fine.

In the pics below, the ejector pin marks have not been removed as they are perfectly placed to be invisible after assembly. There was a locating pin error on the pilot's stick as well. Had the pin been used, the stick would have interfered with the seat and there would have been a gap between the boot and the metal flange. Once again it was off with the pin to make the fit work. Odd that this would happen but will keep me on my toes for the rest of the build.

Attachments

• 120805 1.jpg
    120805 1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 120805 2.jpg
    120805 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 124
  • 120805 3.jpg
    120805 3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 120805 4.jpg
    120805 4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 108
Good stuff Andy. Quick note re the internal colours - these differed in various parts of the airframe, depending on which factory produced the aircraft, so worth checking before you settle on a particular machine.

American Zinc Chromate is notorious for it's wide variety of shades, all the way from yellow to a dark, almost olive, green. Check out the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's restoration of their P-61 to get an idea of this. They address the issue quite well.

Not just the ZC coating, green or yellow, Paul. The different factories used different coloured paint finishes on the crew interior areas, as well as engine bay and bomb bay. Got the info somewhere, and it may be mentioned in my PTO Avenger build.

If I recall the Bunker Hill kit was a TBM-3 which would of been a GM built (TBF was Grumman built and the 3 model was only made by GM) that being said the whole interior would be done in Interior Green unlike the Grumman built earlier version which would be be Bronze Green cockpit with the aft section of the flight deck in Interior Green. Also TBF/TBM 1-1C had the fewer cowl flaps and the TBM-3 had dual openings in the front of the cowl and cowl flaps extending down to the exhaust tips.

Thanks for the info Terry and Kojo. I had this kit mailed to me in a trade and it's one of two that were included in this release by AM. The other in the TBM. The instructions confirm the cockpit area to be Bronze Green and the rest Interior Green. So is Interior Green the same as green zinc chromate? I made the bronze green by adding black to MM green zinc chromate and will post some pics for critique soon.

If your building it as a Grumman built then you would use the Bronze Green which the closest off the shelf color to it I have found is Model Master Dark European Green.

I havent used zinc chromate green so I realy cant say if it is close or not. But when it comes down to it you will have to build and paint it as you see fit. A color I think looks close will be different in another persons eyes. Plus since we are dealing with an online build, lighting and picture taking will change the tone of the color.

I agree. Zinc Chromate, in its 'green' form, was close in shade to Interior Green, but not exactly the same, and also had a flat, ever so slightly metallic look about it, whereas Interior Green had a smooth sheen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back