**** DONE: 1/72 BR20/M "Cicogna" - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:headbang: I get to freehand this camo.I was thinking of making some stencils but started playing around with the adjustments,pressure and fluid consistency and actually got it to work quite well.I will try to post some pics of the demo tomorrow it's 11PM for me right now time for some CMist methinks.

The pics....as you might be able to pic out the to thin and the progression to a thicker layer being laid.Now I also had some card painted with Acrylic It Med Yellow which I sprayed the green onto I think with better results in some regards for the surface was not slick.The thought to also if the colors come out to hard to mist with the yellow once finished to blend it just a thought.

Attachments

• BR20 017 (900 x 675).jpg
    BR20 017 (900 x 675).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 73
  • BR20 018 (900 x 675).jpg
    BR20 018 (900 x 675).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 75
Very tricky! The ringed appearance of some of spots tells me that the air pressure might be too high... wet paint gets "pushed" outwards instead of adhering to the surface.

To some degree John some of the spots was @10PSI but to thin of a mixture.So I thickened and went to 16PSi and got a better effect then tried 20PSI and splatter started developing on the outside edge.I also noted that I literally had to be 1/4-1/2" from the surface to control the splatter.I also have never used much the positive adjustment stop on the drawback feature of the Badger Rage till now and found it comforting and adding confidence to the procedure.Again though the next batch of paint will be variation of these factors due to paint consistency but I have parameters noted.;)

You're on the right track Kevin. It's always necessary to get the feel of each batch and I don't think it's that unusual to hold the nozzle that close for mottles.

I've found that the paint/thinner ratio is a key component to a good finish and different paints have different characteristics. I've used trial and error to try and home in on ratios that work... but still haven't figured it out completely. I also have a adjustable preset on my Paasche V that's helpful when I'm shooting very thin paint.

That is good Kevin and as with my Italian effort, it was a case of trial and error before getting the right mix, pressure and distance.

Well the camo has been laid!The brown was a bit of a pain to get right in it's consistency but I think it all came together fairly well.I finally just kept two tubs with paint (green/brown)and alternated back and forth till I felt it looked right.The last thing I did was too lightly overspray the top with the Italian Sand Camo to blend it.I think it came out pretty decent for the most part with a little to much yellow O/S on the left wing root but maybe it will blend out down the road. ;)

Attachments

• BR20 019 (900 x 675).jpg
    BR20 019 (900 x 675).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 67
  • BR20 020 (900 x 675).jpg
    BR20 020 (900 x 675).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 70
Thanks George that's about 3.5-4 hrs of spots started right after I got caught up to date with "Oak Island" @ 6PM. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back