**** DONE: 1/72nd Bf109F Adolf Galland - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the undercart is racked forward Evan,the paints are enamels ,the camo pattern is as per the box instructions Terry but would be interested in your thoughts of how to improve them please

This would be closer to the pattern and colours for the scheme you're doing Bob. The colours were typically known as the 74/75/76 scheme, these being the colours stipulated by the German Air Ministry, RLM. RLM 76 is the very light blue/gray on the bottom and sides. RLM 74 is a dark green/gray and 75 is a mid tone gray.

Attachments

• bf109greytop1600white.jpg
    bf109greytop1600white.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 262
Andy beat me to it ! There were some variations, depending on the period and the factory which produced the airframe. The early '109Fs used a pattern similar to, but not the same as, the '109Es of the BoB period (in RLM 02/71/65). This was then changed to a pattern similar to the one posted by Andy, using the three greys, but not as complex, first noted on the downed 'F' of Rolf Pingel.
Later still, this became a more soft - edged, slightly wavy splinter, and, when the 'G' was introduced, even more changes came about.
As a rough guide, the pattern posted by Andy is close enough.

Thanks to Andy for the info on colours for a 109F i have now redone the camo and i,m very pleased with the results for me

bob1039.jpg

bob1044.jpg

bob1049.jpg

bob1005.jpg

bob1058.jpg

bob1054.jpg

bob1055.jpg

bob1047.jpg

bob1046.jpg

bob1040.jpg

bob1034.jpg

progress so far ,still some detailing still to do,does anyone have any details on the staining from the guns being used that might have shown when it was in service

The paint seems to look a tad grainy on the sides? I think it may have dried too fast or something. Slowly building up several thin coats would give you a much smoother and nicer looking finish. Don't try to cover the model at once in one thick be-all-end-all paint coat. Just slowly build it up, let it dry and cure for a day or so and do another coat, etc. etc. until you've achieved the desired result.

To be quite honest (and just to make sure this is not to knock your builds or anything ;) ) I think your builds would benefit greatly from slowing down a bit. Hammering out a kit a day or so just seems rather quick to me. I've spotted a few parts on the 109 that didn't line up too well. The lower part of the wing for example seems to protrude from underneath the upper part, some dry-fitting and probably some trimming of the parts could have prevented that, or atleast remove the biggest part of the problem with the remaing ill-fit being solved by a little filler or maybe some superglue and some sanding. Some minor filling and sanding here and there (along the wingroots for example) could have improved the overall result as well.

These things take time, it's true, but believe me the results will improve greatly if a little more attention would be paid to certain areas. I wanna bet even these aging FROG kits could be build into real eye-catchers given a little extra time and effort (I think this especially goes for a lot of these older kits, they need care and attention to make it work) No Tamigawa to speak of back in those days.

Once again, this is not to knock your builds, but rather advice regarding the possibilities to improve the results. Ofcourse there's the forum, so should you run into some kind of trouble, drop a line a see what fellow builders have to say about it. I bet a solution can be found to tackle whatever it is you come across. There's loads of knowledge, tips and tricks available all over, so why not use it :)

Last edited:
Everyone's just trying to help Bob. Many members on here have improved their skills and quality of their builds significantly over a pretty short period of time taking the advice of experienced builders. If you're open to the constructive comments, no reason you can't benefit greatly as well.

But then, if you want us to just pi$$ off and leave you alone, just say so! :lol:

i'm open to instructive comments from others and welcome people being honest,its just that some of the products and detailing kits i have seen on this site are not available to me as there is not any modeling shop nearby or i don't have a clue where to look for them on the internet,i have spent a lot of time on this small kit and have had the largest feedback, not all good or bad but interesting, must be the subject matter

the camo i have followed was suppose to be as Gallands 109f supplied with the kit,the camo kindly put on this post was for a factory finished 109F so i used the colours as a guide and followed the kits pattern,is this not correct for this aircraft or was it as standard factory spec for the 109f

I'd be very wary of kit-supplied patterns, especially from the period this kit was originally issued. It wasn't until the 1980s, approximately, that a definitive pattern was confirmed, first working from the photos of Pingel's 'F', then after exhaustive studies.
It is known that Galland used at least one '109E with a non-standard scheme, but the other aircraft would have been factory standard, which is confirmed by at least those small areas of the wing shown in photos. It was after this period (with the 'F') that the upper wing pattern underwent changes, the first being a simplified and 'soft edged' splinter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back