**** DONE: Bf109F-1, W.Nr. 5628, Werner Molders, Stab JG51, Me/FW Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry.
Category: Judge, non competing.
Kit: ICM Bf109F-2.
Scale: 1/48th.
Decals: Kit, spares box and Kagero.
Accessories: Maybe some scratch-building.

Bf109F-1, flown by Werner Molders, Stab JG51, Mardyk, 4th may 1941.

There are questions as to whether the aircraft flown on the above date was the original F-1, Werke Nummer as above, which originally wore the delivery codes SG+GW, after re-painting, or whether it was a different F-2.
Nevertheless, I'll be using the ICM F-2 kit, and finishing the model in the 02/71/65 colour scheme shown in the profile in Kagero Monografie 31 'Bf109F' , which I'll post later.
I hope to make a start next weekend, after I've been to Duxford, North Weald and Bottisham.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 199.jpg
    Bob Cross build 199.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 452
  • Molders Bf109F.jpg
    Molders Bf109F.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 512
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Glenn. Most reviews point out alignment problems with the separate engine cowlings, but I'll be leaving out the engine, which might make things easier, so we'll see how it goes.

:thumbright:

Also I found this profile that seems to look more accurate.

Attachments

• Bf109F-2.jpg
    Bf109F-2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Thanks chaps, and thanks for the second profile Wojtek. I've seen a few profiles, and I see that one is for June 1941, so I'm wondering if it's his 'second', or 'spare' aircraft, with similar markings. The colours appear to be 74/75/76 in this profile, whereas his earlier machine was almost certainly 71/02/65.

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the second profile Wojtek. I've seen a few profiles, and I see that one is for June 1941, so I'm wondering if it's his 'second', or 'spare' aircraft, with similar markings. The colours appear to be 74/75/76 in this profile, whereas his earlier machine was almost certainly 71/02/65.

According to the Kadero book for JG51 vol.1 the Bf109F Werk Nr.5628 profile shows Molders' kite used at the end of October of 1940 at Pihen airfield and wearing the RLM74/75/76 camo scheme with yellow painted engine cowling and the bottom half of the rudder. The SG+GW code letters were removed but there still were traces of them on the fuselage. In the volume two of the series there is a profile of Bf109F ( the caption says F-2 variant) flown by Molders in the mid of July 1941 ( the Bobrujsk airfield ). The camo scheme is of RLM 74/75/76 again. The engine cowling is painted yellow at the bottom area only.There is a a yellow band on the fuselage at its rear part. Also wing tips on undersides are yellow. The victory markings on the rudder are in six rows. The entire spinner is of the black-green colour.

Thanks Wojtek. The one I want to do is as it was on 4 May, 1941, when based at Mardyck. One photo shows it as the profile I posted from the Kagero book, and a similar description (02/71/65) and profile appear in the Jagdwaffe series. I did notice though, that on the photo mentioned, there does not appear to be a Werke Nummer on the port side of the fin.
As already mentioned, there seems to be some debate as to whether this machine was W.Nr.5628, an F-1, or an early production F-2. But most of my references describe early 'F' machines as being in the 02/71/65 scheme, and the photos, even in B&W, seem to bear this out.

You can be right Terry about the camo scheme with RLM02/71/65 for the early Fs. The picture of the SG+GW marked Bf109F shows these lighter spots of the camo being really light comparing to those of the RLM74/75/76 scheme we can see in other pictures of the LW aircraft. Also there is a short note in the Kagero book that the code letters were overpainted with RLM65. But I doubt that German maintenance crews could use the paint when the main for undersides and sides was the RLM76. So it would be logical if the paint was used when it still was the main colour for painting of German kites.

Thanks guys. I doubt I'll be able to make a start before the weekend, as I still haven't finished the Bottisham diorama, and it's being delivered there on Thursday !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back