**** DONE: Bf109F-1, W.Nr. 5628, Werner Molders, Stab JG51, Me/FW Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that the other models are finished and delivered, I can make a start on this at last. A quick question though - I presume that, being an early production 'F', in use in May 1941, the cockpit would still be in RLM 02, with a RLM 66 instrument panel? Any opinions??

Still here. I scrolled through LEMB and it seems your bird is right in the transition zone. Opinion of Peter Evans on F-4s was that they would likely be 02 but there's a good pic of an F-4 undergoing restoration that shows the factory colour very close to 66. Your's being an F-1 may point more toward 02. One thing is for sure, the inst panel would have been 66.

thought this was interesting Terry.
from Warpaint special No2 Bf 109.
have more to look through on the other computer when i have time

Attachments

• F-2.jpg
    F-2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,410
Last edited:
Cheers Karl. Got that book and, along with other refs, it compounds the problem of which aircraft it was in May 1941!
It was possibly the same aircraft, an F1 - but the F2 came along very quickly, and it's known that Molders had two similar machines. Whether one was the F1 and the other the F2 is open, but I'm going to go with the general outlook, especially as at least one pic does not show a W. Nr. on the fin.
B*gg*r - knew I should have done a 'Pik As' crate instead !!

Glad you asked that colour question Terry it was something on my mind and with me doing a later production machine I'd opted for the RLM 66 which is now hopefully on the way.

So how was the trip?

ok how about this from Schiffer's Military History - Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces Vol. 1. A Chronicle in Photographs

Attachments

• molders.jpg
    molders.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 802
  • moldesr2.jpg
    moldesr2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Also there is a short note in the Kagero book that the code letters were overpainted with RLM65.

Which is odd as following Luftwaffe Regulation notice No.9 of 20 Feb 1939 the "transit markings must be washable". This applies to the Stammkennzeichen which served as a ferry or transit code for the delivery of an aircraft to its unit. Preceded by a D it was also a radio call sign. The order also says that the markings must be removed "without delay" when an aircraft arrived at its destination.
The fact that traces of these codes are sometimes visible on aircraft in service would indicate that they were not always as washable as the Luftwaffe hoped!
Cheers
Steve

Ach, but ve didn't haf der 'Vanish' in 1941 mein freund !!
Vic, the trip was great, apart from a 5'5 hour delay on the way there, due to a fan belt letting go, and waiting for parts! Pics in my 'Duxford' thread in Aviation Pics.
Karl, thanks mate, got those pics too. And in the two Kagero books I have on the subject, including the one you mention, there's conflicting info! But as mentioned, at least one pic seems to indicate a Werke Nummer was not visible on the fin, which is slightly odd, so that can be my excuse !

Last edited:
I've finally made a start. As I'm omitting the engine, I've moved straight on to the cockpit area, and a tip for anyone contemplating building this kit - TEST FIT, TEST FIT, TEST FIT !! (Especially if fitting the engine assembly).
I found that the slot in the forward bulkhead, where the floor and cannon breech cover fit, needed enlarging, and it's imperative to fit the breech cover first, although this is not clear in the kit instruction diagrams. After fiddling about and trimming the slot, I decided it would be safer to fit the major parts together first, before painting, in order to avoid damage to the paint work.
The seat pan had the walls thinned down to give a more scale appearance, before cementing onto the floor mounts, and the other parts, such as the control column and fuel management 'box' will be fitted later, as will a home-made seat harness.
I found a colour photo of the cockpit of the '109F in the National Museum, Canada, which seems to confirm that the cockpit was in RLM 02, with the instrument panel in RLM66, so I can continue with painting once all the bits are done. As the canopy will probably be fitted in the closed position, I don't think I'll be going 'overboard' on internal detailing, but will probably add a few bits and pieces.
More soon, once I have something more interesting to show !

Attachments

• Molders Bf109F 001.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 001.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Molders Bf109F 003.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Molders Bf109F 002.jpg
    Molders Bf109F 002.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 205
Here the color:
zzz.jpg

linings are made as "Emil":
7777.jpg

In the wings Gun Cams

Before the operation Barbarossa, the hood was painted dark spots. Rudder was changed.WNr 2658 of summer 1941, I showed here:

AviaSkins.Forums -

Love those profiles on the AviaSkins forum Wotan....but I think Kloppers 109 had a Black 1 with red border.....sure i've read that interpretation somewhere too....

from looking at a series of pics of Molders machines it appears he used his F-1 for some considerable time...along with others. Found 1 shot with the full 101 bars on the F-1..!

Last edited:
ohhhhh do indeed post kind sir!

Good start Terry.

Question: Any reason why he would one crate so long? What I mean is that he received this F-1 in Nov '40 and still had it by May '41. Galland changed through a few machines - just curious why didn't Moelders. Or he did have others just preferred this one.?

Possible he liked this first 'F' and was comfortable with it, certainly his mechanics would have treated it well....he did have another which may have had changes to camo and markings over time or there was more than one backup as there are 3 different Kommodore Chevron/Triangle markings that I know of....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back