DONE: B-17E, 11th Bomb Group, PTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, I will be flying on one wing for 8 weeks. I hear beer is good for broken hands.

DBII

Microscale used to do these decal sheets, if you can still find them, as they've been out of production for some time. An alternative is to print your own, onto clear decal sheet. Dave (Grau Geist) posted a PDF with U.S. letters/numbers stencil fonts only a few days ago. Download that, get the numbers and 'US ARMY' to the size and colours you want, then do a trial print onto paper. If they're OK, then print out on the clear decal sheet. Spray the printed sheet, after cutting off the part you require, with a coat or two of clear varnish (Future will be fine), and allow it to 'set' for about 2 to 6 hours, before using in the normal way.
Clear (and white) inkjet decal papers are availble from most of the larger model and accessory supply outlets, normally around A4 size, at the equivalent of about $4 or less.
Hope this helps.

I give up airframe. Can you help me find Grau Geist post on making the decals? I will throw in another beer

DBII

Heck! I can't find it now either! It was just entitled 'Stencils' if I remember, and was a zip file of fonts for numbers and letters, plus a 'read me' note. Let me see if I can convert it and post it from my files.

Can't get my copy to post - BUT I found the original post by Grau Geist!
It wasn't where I thought!
Go to Aircraft Camouflage and Markings, in the TECHNICAL section.
There's a thread there entitled 'P51D', by ZMSD. Dave's (Grau Geist) post is #9, and has the attachment for the fonts on a Zip file. Just download it, and you're ready to go.
You may need to re-size the chosen font, to obtain the scale size you want, hence my suggestion of a test print on paper first. Once satisfied, just feed the inkjet decal paper as normal, and print the required decal set.
Allow this to dry for 30 minutes or so after coming out of the printer, just to be on the safe side, then spray with clear varnish. As I mentioned before, Johnson's Future will be ok for this, preferably two coats, sprayed, allowing the first coat to dry thoroughly before spraying the second coat. If you don't have an airbrush, an aerosol can of acrylic clear varnish will work just as well. Leave the varnish coat to thoroughly dry, preferably for 3 hours or more, to ensure it has toatlly hardened. Then, cut and use just as you would 'normal' waterslide decals.
I'm not sure how these decals will perform with decal solutions, such as Micro Sol or Micro Set, as I have only ever used one type of clear decal paper - those from different manufacturers may perform or react differently. Best bet is to test on a spare decal, on something unimportant.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

Does anyone know if the field modifications for the B-17 that enlarged the windows in the nose for the 50.cals where used on the E model? I thought the modification were only on the F models but I have see some pictures with it that was id as Es. My model has the larger windows and I was thinking about reducing the size. I hope to get it assembled this weekend and add a little weathering.

DBII

I went ahead and painted over some of the windows. I wanted to smooth things out with puddy first but that was to much for one hand. I masked over the window and painted what I did not need. The first one looks good but the second window leaked a liitle. Looks like the plan will be in final assembley this weekend. I hope to have the photos posted on Monday.

DBII

I did broke down and use masking tape on the leading edge on the wings and tail for the deicers. I was surprised how well it worked. The windows for the waist gunners are to small. I may remove them. I have one small problem. The fuselage halves do not fit very well. I am having problems test fitting the mess with one hand. I will have to get my second to stand in for me. I will filled, sanded and painted the seams over the weekend. If plans work out, everthing but the decals will be finshed by Sunday. I found sheets to make decals but I do not know if I want to pay $10.00 to make markings for a $14.00 model. Payday is friday so I may spend the money. I cannot wait to post the photos for your amusment. I need to get a cheap digital camera so I can post as I work.

DBII

Has anyone used the testor's system for making decals? I should be doing the final asssembly this weekend and post some photos. DBII

I may get it this weekend. I would like special markings for the grp build. Do I need the starter set with the cd or can I just get the paper and run it through the printer?

DBII

I will try using the numbers from another thread "Go to Aircraft Camouflage and Markings, in the TECHNICAL section.
There's a thread there entitled 'P51D', by ZMSD. Dave's (Grau Geist) post is #9, and has the attachment for the fonts on a Zip file. Just download it, and you're ready to go." I will let you know what happens.

DBII

I have the wings completed now but i cannot get a tight fit for the fuselage, looks like lots of putty sanding. The plane was called Blue Goose and assigned to the 11th BG, 7th AF. The plane was painted overall blue in Hawaii for operations over the ocean. It went down on 29 Sept 1942. Members of the group reported that it took more than its fair share of fire from the Japanese. Since there are no know pictures of the plane, I can be flexible on my build. I wanted to use a blue grey color but it was to grey for me. I found a medium blue tone that I like. It is a strange looking bird. I thought about going back and paint the undersides either white or light blue but left it a single shade of blue. I wish I could use the airbrush and weather the top a little. I am still trying to make the markings for the plane. I think that black numbers would work better than the yellow ones that came with the model. I may opt to just put a plane number on the tail and leave it at that. Of course, it would have to be number 13. Pictures soon guys.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back