DONE: B-17E, 11th Bomb Group, PTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm just a little plane tease. Sorry guys but I warned you. My little point and shoot focal point was not as close as I thought. I get paid this week and will try and find a little digital camera for the next time. I know it was not worth the wait. Ok, I will have to buy the next round.

DBII

Next addition of Pacific B-17s.

There were 5 B-17 groups in the Pacific between 1933 and 1943. The Far Eastern Air Force HQ (FEAR) was located in the Phillipines and had 35 B-17s in 1941. FEAR was made up of the 19th BG, 38th BG (C models), and the 88th Recon Sqdrn (E models). In Sept 42 the nummber of all B-17s in theater reached a maximum of 168. All units were converted to other planes by the summer of 1943. C, D and E models were present at the major battles of teh Pacific: Pearl Harbour, Midway, Coral Sea, Bismark Sea, Phillipines, Wake Island, Gilbert islands, Marshall Islands, mariana, Tarawa, Solomon Rabul and Guadalcanal.

After the attack on Pearl Harbour, a dispute bettwen General Brereton and McAurthur resulted in the airstrike aginst the airbases at Formosa being delayed. As the B-17 and P-40s were preparing for the strike, the Japanses 11th Air Fleet struck the american airfileds resulting in the loss of half of the aircraft assigned to FEAR. Within days the remaining aircraft were also destoried. Some B-17 escape to India and Australia to be lost during latter missions.

Units with B-17s: 5th AF, &th AF and FEAR, 19BG, 11 BG, 5 BG, 64 BG(?), 30th BS, 38 recon Sqdrn, 98 BS, 42 BS, 50 Recon Sqdrn, 26th BS, 98th BS, 88 Recon Sqdrn

DBII

I am finishing some weathering on the Blue Goose. I painted the turbo superchargers black and it looks bad. I looked at photos of the Tx Raider and the superchargers are not black, more of a silver/brown color. Any suggestions for the color I should use?

DBII

I was able to wrap things up Sunday. I have a second job and it looks like I will not be able get the pictures devolped and posted until Wed or Thurs. Please continue without me and I will post as soon as I can. The Blue Goose is looking ok with the decals. I went back and painted the supercharges steel and dry brushed it with flat black. Next I did a little wash but it cannot be seen.

DBII

I found out that the Blue Goose was asigned to the 98th BS. It was hit by AA and lost a wing. I am l hoping to find a picture and the status of the crew.

DBII

I was able to get a copy of the paperwork on the loss of the Blue Goose, including the crew members.

Attachments

• GOOSE+Page+2.jpg
    GOOSE+Page+2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back