DONE: B-17E, 11th Bomb Group, PTO Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little help please. I was trying to install a little window in the nose when it flew across the table and into the carpet. Of course I could not find it. It it easier to cut a replacment from plastic or use the testor window maker?

DBII

The Testor window maker has worked for me in the past DB and being 1/72 should be fairly small.Kevin

If it's fairly small, theTestor's stuff, which sounds the same as Micro 'Kristal Klear', should do the job. But, if it's possible to cut an new window from clear sheet, this can be fitted with the Testor's/Micro product, and wiil look a lot better.
It's really a case of what you are comfortable with, and how you can manage it with your damged hand.

I will look for it again tonight but doubt if I find it. The window is a small one on the top of the nose. I will try using both. Thanks.

DBII

I am going to have to wait untill after my Dr visit on Monday to work on the plane. Last night I was trying to finish it and I pushed out two of the windows in the nose. I wanted to finish this weekend but I think I will end up destroying it. I am glad the deadline was extended. All I have left is to glue the left and right sides together, add the wings, wheels, props and markings.

DBII

I have the use of both hands and now I can really muck up things. :lol: The turrets rotate and have to be installed before joining the left and right sides together. I was able to mask the turrets and painted half of them yesterday. I hope to finish up in a couple of days and apply decals by the end of the week. If I can wrap it up I will have pictures posted by Sunday.

DBII

All I can promise is that is looks a little strange, it should fit right in with this bunch. :lol: It is my first completed model since 1976 and it looks like it. I still have three in various stages of completion. My on clearance airbrush was worth the $20 I paid for it. I only wanted it for the compressor. I need to buy a real airbrush so I can paint my Russian B-25, T-38 and a F4U that is stranger looking than the B-17.

DBII

Turrets are installed and now the hard part. I did some test fittings and there will be a big gap to fill on the bottom nose of the plane. I will get to work on that shortly. I did not want you the think that I have not done my homework for the build. Here is the first part of my notes mostly from the 11th BG website.

11th Bombardment Grp (H), The Grey Geese "One Damn Island after another."

Assigned aircraft: B-17s, B-18s, B-24s

Est.: Oct 1933 as the 11th Observation Grp
Jan 1938 reorganized into 11th Bombardment Grp (M)
Feb 1940 reorganized into 11th Bombardment Grp (H) attached to 18th Wing Hawaiian Air Force
Feb 1942 reassigned to the 7th AF

Orgainization
HQ, HQ Section, 14th BS, 26th BS, 42nd BS, 50th Recon Sqdrn

Mission Sumamry
Feb 40 - Jun 42, patrols and search missions from Hickam Field Hawaii.
Jun 42 - Jul 43, attached to the US Navy per Adm Nimitz request to preform long range searches and bombing missions against the Japanese fleet after the Battle of Midway.
Jul 42 - Sept 42, HQ moved to New Hebrides to strike enemy airfields and supply points.
Sep 42 - Apr 43, HQ moved to Solomon Islands for strikes against airfields and military instillations.
Apr 42, returned to Hawaii for transition to B-24s

The unit went on to fight at Wake Island, Gilbert Islands, Marshall Islands, Mariana Islands, Funafuti, Tarawa and Kwajalein.

Campagns
Guadalcanal, Northern Solomons, Central Pacific, Eastern Madates, Western Pacific and Ryukyus.

Distinguised Unit Citation: 31 July - 30 Nov 1942

Battle Group Honors
Central Pacific, Guadalcanal, Northern Solomons, Ryukus, Western Pacific and Eastern Mandates.

A little on the Pacific B-17s next time

DBII

I'm a plane tease :twisted:. I played with putty of the first time yesterady. The windows for the tail and cockpit are both one piece. They were to wide and it caused the left and right sides of the plane to not fit well. A little putty fixed that. After I finished sanding, I thought it would have been easier to cut a section out of the windows and make them smaller. I do not have a digital camera so I have been using film. Only 4 shots left on the roll. There should be pictures later in the week.

DBII

Ah! No digital camera, that explains a lot! Although I still use, and love, my 35mm SLR's, buying a digital camera was one of the best things I've ever done! I recently worked it out, that in film and processing costs for the builds I've posted here alone, my digital camera has saved me around £800 !!! That's paid for the camera 4 times over, plus the speed and convenience. Marvellous!

That is part of it, but mostly because I am a plane tease....I found a little digital that would be perfect to models, I just have to figure out how to handel the downloads.

DBII

I painted over what I thought was filled in seams. It looked terrible after the paint dried. I will have to go back and do some more sanding and fill in a couple of spots again. The only section that turned out well was the large gap in the nose section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back