DONE: B-17E, 11th Bomb Group, PTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
Ok guys, I broke my right hand. I have been off of work for the past 2 1/2 weeks, bored out of my mind. I still have a cast but can now hold a brush. I will be entering the grp build as a beginer with a 1/72 Revell
B-17 F painted as a an E model assigned to the 11 BG. Story and pictures to follow.

DBII

AAAGGGHHHH !!!!!! I cannot get the @#$%@^ lid off of the bottle of new paint. Where is the pliers, no that will not work either !!!! @#$%, I think the glue is eating through the cast.

DBII

Very cool DBII, sorry about the arm. I do have some profiles of B-17E's if you need some for referance in the Pacific. Let me know and I will post what I got.

Should be cool to have a heavy in here.Seriously though on lids that are stuck get the water hot in the sink about 1-1.5" deep invert the bottle in there for a couple minutes then the pliers take it right off.Cheers Kevin

You have my sympathy DB, I really do know what it's like to work one and a half handed, and in pain! Hope you can get things sorted and get the big *ss bird in the GB mate.

I had to get the girl at the local hobby store to open it. Thanks for the profiles micdrow. I would love to do Aztec Curse but could not find the markings. I also like the camo on the Midway B-17s but with the broken hand wanted something a little easier to paint. I did find something a little different and hope to surprise everyone. I know this will be hard because this group is so smart. I am making some headways. Lucky me there is only two parts inside the bird. I have finished painting and will try to assemble the thing this week. I had to paint with a brush in a flat finish. Any suggestions for appling decals to a flat finish? I do not have a digital camera so you everyone will have to to see the photos.

DBII

For flat finish - Gloss cote the bird, apply the decals, then dull cote it. Decals do not silver when applied to a gloss cote, then you just bring it back to reality with the dull cote.

Mag's got it. If you can get some Micro Sol and/or Micro Set, or similar decal solutions, that will make life easier too. Just follow the instructions on the bottle(s), and, if it's the Micro products especially, do NOT panic, or touch the decals when they start to wrinkle after a short period during setting - this is normal, and is how the solution works. They'll pull down and conform very well indeed.

Does anyone know if the fuel caps are red? Also there are decals for things like no step and to go around the fuel caps. Should these be used on 1/72 scale?

DBII

If it came with the kit and is mentioned on the decal page with its designated number, then yes use it. If you think you will find it hard with your hand then dodge the little ones, no one really sees them anyway..

Hey DbII, I may have some actual pictures of these aircraft if you are interested. From opreys B-17's in the Pacific.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 391
Wish you good luck on this one. I know how having a broken hand can really mess with your life. Broke my left hand (I'm a lefty) several years ago. Doc said it would be in a cast for 6-12 months. Healed in only four, went to work unloading trailers after a couple of weeks. Last cast was on my arm for two months, now that was not pleasant when the Doc removed that one. Make sure you have a metal hanger or heavy wire on hand for the itches you can't get to. Nurses will tell you not to do it, but if you have not stitches in there why not.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back