Done : Bf109K-4 of 12./JG27 "Blue 7" Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If it was me, I think I'd go with the profile in Wayne's post, #8.
I obviously can't be certain, but I think that what is described as RLM02 and RLM99 is probably the latter, either applied as a primer, then left and oversprayed with the other camouflage colours, or applied OVER the other colours, thinly, to tone-down the colour mixes. As for that 'nose band', if it is a colour, I can only think it is yellow, OR, it could even be bare RLM76, at the demarcation line of the gun-trough upper panel, making it appear like a band of light-coloured paint. I figured this by comparing the above profile and the B&W pics. I'll have a look through my refs, to see if I can find anything definite from this JG.

So OK Karl.I'll try to explain.The main problem with the LW late camo colours is that it is very difficult to state their tonality.Of couse there is a lot of pictures the German LW planes but they are B&W mostly.So how to say what colour was used if we don't see them correctly.I heard there are people who can say " for sure it is blue " but I don't believe them.Could you imagine the guy who could say of what colours consist an impressionist' paint, looking at B&W pic of it?
For instance I'm going to make D-9 of III/JG54.I found two nice pics of the machine both with caption "Black12" of III/JG54 " some months ago.But looking at these pictures I got an impression it should have been Red or Blue12 rather.So I tried to find more on the matter but failed.This Christmas The Santa Clause brought me a cool series of Kagero books about Fw190 ( four parts).In one of them I found some more pics of the fighter plane but this time the caption is "Blue12".So it means I'm an infant-prodigy :lol:. Not I'm not.But the black cross next to the number twelve was of different tonality.That's way I wasn't sure.So if we don't have a proof ( colour pic or a pilot recollection where the colours are mentioned) we can say nothing, really.Therefore there is a lot of different profiles of the same machine.One author follows rules and says "it could be like this" but another one says "I'm right" and uses his own eyes.But the truth is stil in the middle.
But back to LW paintigs.There were rules for camo patterns of course.But at the end of WW2 there was a lack of all things in Germany, including paints.What make the matter worse, these paints that could be used were of quite poor quality and changed its tonality quickly.So in many factories ( small often) where parts for planes were mounted , colours for painting could be of different tonalities.Simply they used what they could.For instance in Dornier factory RLM 81/82 colours for Do335 were mentioned as green but another manufacturer said RLM81 was brown and RLM82 as light grey.
In many cases the lack of a correct paint or willing to economize all materials forced these factories to limit the paint usege.For instance many late Doras had the wing undersides painted partially only.It was occured that fuselages were painted with the primer only instead of RLM76 for instance.The primer was of a few tonalities.One of it was of the colour which was close to the Sky type S like Wayne said.To sum up...the profile which Wayne uploaded seems to be very nice and quite accurate and I would go for it.

PS. my post and Terry's one crisse-crossed but I agree with him. Good point Terry.:D

Gents , Waynes profile on the first page probably is the best match though I think the band behind the prop could be a white-tan or RLM 76 blue. there would be no sense to put a yellow ID band Ost front theater on a West Reich defense craft. what the heck I have seen weird camo anyway so still not 100 %

I agree,the band could be of these colours.In addition these pics were take in Czech ( beliving captions ) on Praha-Kibley airfield in May 1945 and judging by its look she had to stay there for longer time.

now my head is hurting :scratch:

:lol: :lol: Now you are finding out things are not always as they seem....and that there are many variations and interpretations that can be had on a subject.....especially late war.....

I posted what I think was/is a reasonable profile of the subject, including photo reference for comparrison and study...

One thing I note in a few of the different profiles is how they have shown the rudder...in one of the photo's it is clearly different in camo from the tone of the other colours yet portrayed as 81/82 or 83? in these profiles?...a rather obvious error......Profiles cannot be taken as absolutely correct interpretations of a given subject....

thanks to all of you for the time and effort and i agree wayne's profile seems to be the closest match to the photo's, so that's what i'll aim for :lol:

so now where can i get some blue decals :rolleyes:

i'll see what i can blag from terry as i'm planning on visiting him next week !
but if he cant help i'll take you up on the offer wayne, thank you mate

cant wait for the kit to arrive so i can get stated, it'll be my first ever 1/48 build

and is it possible for a kindly moderator to change the title of this thread to blue 7 12/JG27 as it was found that this is the K-4 the model will be based on

Changes......you should be aware that this Revell Kit started out as a G-10 and re-released as a K-4....parts were added but the differences were not really explained.....there are a couple you may or may not wish to deal with, it's your choice!

Note the items circled in Red on the G-10 and check there 'New' locations on the K-4 profile....there is one additional small oval hatch on the opposite side of the front section...need to do another scan....to show it...

Attachments

• Bf109G-10_access Panel_a.JPG
    Bf109G-10_access Panel_a.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Bf109K-4_Access Panel.JPG
    Bf109K-4_Access Panel.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 89
Useful info Wayne. I'm not really up to speed on some of the late-model 109's myself, so this is helping me also, and going in my files! Do you happen to have a drawing/profile showing the differences between the G10 and G6/G14 nose/cowlings? In most photos, I can't spot any glaring difference, but then, my eyes are getting older!

Useful info Wayne. I'm not really up to speed on some of the late-model 109's myself, so this is helping me also, and going in my files! Do you happen to have a drawing/profile showing the differences between the G10 and G6/G14 nose/cowlings? In most photos, I can't spot any glaring difference, but then, my eyes are getting older!

There are differences but it depends on the type.....I will organise some scans for you!

Top two G-10 and the bottom two K-4....

Attachments

• k4_right.jpg
    k4_right.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 106
  • k4_left.jpg
    k4_left.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 115
  • G10 left.jpg
    G10 left.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 118
  • G10.jpg
    G10.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 114
Blasted...! Missed two! (Bangs head against the table...) Top Two early G-14, bottom two Late G-14...

Attachments

• G14_AS_early_left.jpg
    G14_AS_early_left.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 98
  • G14_AS_early_right.jpg
    G14_AS_early_right.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 93
  • G14_AS_left late.jpg
    G14_AS_left late.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 101
  • G14_right_late.jpg
    G14_right_late.jpg