**** DONE: Curtiss P-40E-1 S/L Keith "Bluey" Truscott - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry, CR, Glenn,Andy70, Wayne, Karl, Andy, Hub

Just finished the sky blue bits.....getting that wavy demarcation was a PITA. I masked it first and then feathered the edges a tad to give it a softer look. No, if anybody asks, I did not use all my Tamiya Tape, just most!

Cheers 8)

Peter

Attachments

• paint 024 resized.jpg
    paint 024 resized.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 139
  • paint 022 resized.jpg
    paint 022 resized.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 137
  • paint 023 resized.jpg
    paint 023 resized.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Thanks Karl and Wojtec

Started on the decals today.

First problem was finding the "I" and the "D". As luck would have it, I had in the spares these Amtech decals (Pic 1) for the P40E. It had the codes for 250 Squadron "LD" which could be modified very easily and are the same size and style. A couple of cuts with the scalpel sorted these out (Pic 2). Bonus - it also had the little red dots I was after for the centre of the fuselage roundels.

The serials I have from a generic MSG 8in set. It has various styles.

First step was gloss coating the P-40 and then applied the codes, serials and the red dot (Pic 3). Aussie Kittyhawks from this period only had the fuselage centres, all the others were deleted. Bluey's Kittyhawk also lacked any underneath roundels, so the job here is very simple.

All there is for now - another update soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• decals 003 resized.jpg
    decals 003 resized.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 152
  • decals 001 resized.jpg
    decals 001 resized.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 137
  • decals 002 resized.jpg
    decals 002 resized.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 127
Outstanding work there Peter! You may have already answered this one, but is your masking material like the Badger photo-frisket? I have tried it but could never get it to stick. What was your technique?

Beaut work Peter. I also find that Frisk film /Frisket doesn't adhere too well, and can be blown off by the airbrush, even at low pressure, unless on a large, flat surface.

Thanks Bruce and T.

The masking material I used has no problem, other than it does not stick well around curved surfaces. It does stick well enough not to be blown off by the air brush. I'll take a pic of the packaging and put it up on here.

Thanks Vic, Wayne and Andy.

I've used Tamiya XF:23 mixed with white in a rough ratio of 2:1. Probably could have lightened it a little further. Hard to judge until it's on there and the wraps are off. I'll know for next time anyways.

Cheers

Peter

Doesn't look too bad to me pete. I see White Ensign Models make a range of RAAF colours in enamal that I would love to try one day. Have you used them by any chance?
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/Colourcoats+Aircraft+Colours/52/1/

Nice work Pete and look forward to the Frisket info.

Doesn't look too bad to me pete. I see White Ensign Models make a range of RAAF colours in enamal that I would love to try one day. Have you used them by any chance?

Andy, I have White Ensign paint and they are very much like the Hannants Xtracolor which I found were slightly thinner than Humbrol in consistency. As a hand brushing paint I find them somewhat disappointing but applied with the airbrush it's a different story. I have also found from experience that it is better to deal direct with White Ensign, getting them through the Aussie agent is a long drawn out process if they are out of stock.

Thanks for the reply Vic. I might give them a miss, as I hand paint. I'm generally happy with the Humbrol paints I use (when you get a good batch that is!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back