**** DONE: Curtiss P-40E-1 S/L Keith "Bluey" Truscott - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Guys

Latest update is as follows: -

Pic 1
This is the masking film I used. I think I got the name muddled up - it's called "Ultra Mask", as you can see. Recommended.

Pic 2
Commenced the weathering with the underside receiving spray on mud and smoke residue.

Pic 3 4
Prop was sprayed as normal, and then the black was toned down a tad with a dark grey colour. The rear of the blades was dusted with aluminium to reflect the dusty conditions taking off the paint from the back of the blades.

Pic 5 6
Wheels and tyres. The hub caps were originally sprayed sky blue, but the muddy and dusty conditions soon turned them brown at Milne Bay in '42. The gear was sprayed aluminium and the brake lines added. The molded on brake line clips were removed and replaced with tin foil. They will receive some more detailing once on the Kitty.

Pic 7
Exhaust stains were laid on with several coats of light grey, dark grey and smoke. The Quickboost exhaust stacks were laid in afterwards. Note the first stack is left steely red brown and the others towards the rear have been covered in the greyish exhaust residue.

Pic 8 9
Gun bay panel lines and control surfaces were highlighted in pencil, and the aircraft was dusted with a red/ brown/ rust colour to bring everything together. This also had the effect of making the white areas not so white, and making the wear areas a little darker and dirtier looking.

I have lots more small jobs to do, but I'm getting there.

More soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• prop 004 resized.jpg
    prop 004 resized.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 108
  • prop 003 resized.jpg
    prop 003 resized.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 107
  • paint 025 resized.jpg
    paint 025 resized.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 101
  • masks 020 resized.jpg
    masks 020 resized.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 103
  • wheels 002 - resized.jpg
    wheels 002 - resized.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 105
  • wheels 001 - resized.jpg
    wheels 001 - resized.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 104
  • paint 028 resized.jpg
    paint 028 resized.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 106
  • paint 027 resized.jpg
    paint 027 resized.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 110
  • paint 026 resized.jpg
    paint 026 resized.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 104
Thanks guys!

Well, this is my last update, cause I'm calling it done. Final pics will be up very soon.

Pic 1
Tail wheel, gear doors, and detailing done to the tail.

Pic 2
Navigation lights, position lights all done. In this case it's the side location lights, which are blue.

Pic 3 4
Added more gunk and dust to the undersides.

Pic 5 6
Manual gunsight added. I have to say that the original pieces did not fare well, so I made my own replacements. Removed the canopy masks and the canopy and detailed the canopy rails and cockpit. I also tried about three times to string some antenna wires, but the modelling gods were not pleased. It's very difficult to get the three under tension, without pulling out the anchor points on one or all the 'wire'. Still, I'm please enough with the final look, so I'm calling it done for now. Here's a sneak peek. 8)

Cheers for now.

Peter

Attachments

• paint 029 resized.jpg
    paint 029 resized.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 92
  • paint 035 resized.jpg
    paint 035 resized.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 82
  • paint 034 resized.jpg
    paint 034 resized.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 87