**** DONE: Curtiss P-40E-1 S/L Keith "Bluey" Truscott - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's looking quite nice Peter. Gotta check my details on that conopy frame for my Kittyhawk III now.

I just read an article about Mr. Surfacer today and it sounds like a very good product. I'll have to find out where I can lay my hands on some.

Last edited:
I have a hard time getting it here but have used Tamiya primer for the same purpose. I don't know if it performs the same, better, or worse, but it works well at filling in panel lines and small sink marks.

Thanks guys.

Long overdue update.

Pic 1
These Hasegawa P-40s are fine kits, but some areas have details that are oversized for 1/48. Fabric ribbing and that rivet detail on the fuselage side are two such areas about to get attention.

Pic 2
Here's the tail surfaces after sanding back. Much better to my eye.

Pic 3
Ailerons and rudder (not shown) were also treated similarly

Pic 4
I scraped, rather than sanded the detail off in the scallop behind the pilot. It will leave a little bit of raised detail.

Pic 5
Once this was done, I installed the cockpit tub and completed assembly of the wings and fuselage. Fitted like a glove. Nice job Mr Hasegawa!

Attachments

• fuselage 007 resized.jpg
    fuselage 007 resized.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 97
  • control surfaces 004 resized.jpg
    control surfaces 004 resized.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 86
  • control surfaces 003 resized.jpg
    control surfaces 003 resized.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 118
  • control surfaces 002 resized.jpg
    control surfaces 002 resized.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 111
  • control surfaces 001 resized.jpg
    control surfaces 001 resized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Karl and Glenn

Bluey's aircraft, although he was in his time a very famous Aussie fighter pilot, has not been picked up by any decal manufacturer, which is unfortunate. Rather than use decals for the main markings, I will be painting them using masks, plus using generic/ spares box codes and serials to get the job done.

Pic 1
As a first step, I painted all the white areas.

Pic 2 and 3
First areas was the fin flash. The red colour was sprayed here using insignia red, faded down with a little white added to the red.

Pic 4 and 5
To do the roundels I made masks from magic mask (vinyl) using a circle cutter. It makes the job easier if they are taped down to the mat while you do that.

Pic 6 through 12
Once the roundels were cut, you place them on the model, and then remove the outer circle, spray blue (again mixed with white) and then replace the outer circle and then remove the outside. I covered up the masks completely so that when I spray the camo, it will not leak between the gaps in the masks.

The great thing about doing the roundels this way will be the ease of duplicating the camo changes made when the original US marking were oversprayed on assembly of the aircraft on delivery. More on this soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• masks 012 resized.jpg
    masks 012 resized.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 70
  • masks 011 resized.jpg
    masks 011 resized.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 71
  • masks 010 resized.jpg
    masks 010 resized.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 77
  • masks 009 resized.jpg
    masks 009 resized.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
  • masks 008 resized.jpg
    masks 008 resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 75
  • masks 007 resized.jpg
    masks 007 resized.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 133
  • masks 006 resized.jpg
    masks 006 resized.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 145
  • masks 005 resized.jpg
    masks 005 resized.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 154
  • masks 004 resized.jpg
    masks 004 resized.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 90
  • masks 002 resized.jpg
    masks 002 resized.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 87
  • masks 001 resized.jpg
    masks 001 resized.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • fuselage 008 resized.jpg
    fuselage 008 resized.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 88
Cheers Guys

Update today:

Pic 1,2, 3,4
The Hasegawa P-40 does not have the sun shade/glare visor covering the instrument panel. Very often they were taken off in service, but I would like Bluey's aircraft to have one.

To start, I obtained the foil top off a tin of hot chocolate. This is great stuff, because it is many time the thickness of normal aluminium foil, but thinner than lead foil you find on wine bottles.

I cut the foil down to shape and installed it over the panel. These sagged and warped in the heat, so the foil is perfect in portraying that in 1/48th. After a coat of black, it is ready to go.

Pic 5
In preparation for the side windows, I have sprayed the panels in my rendition of DuPont 71-009 "Brown" used as a factory colour by curtiss on theses aircraft. It is a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF:52 and XF:59 and then toned down with white.

More soon and thanks for looking.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• cockpit 013 resized.jpg
    cockpit 013 resized.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 88
  • cockpit 018 resized.jpg
    cockpit 018 resized.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 92
  • paint 002 resized.jpg
    paint 002 resized.jpg