**** DONE: GB-36 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just noticed something a bit odd John and not sure if you want to address it now. I've never seen the trailing edge of the wing root fairing squared off like that. I always thought it ended in a sharp edge.

Thanks for the comment Andy! Hmmm... from the pics you posted, it looks like the fairing's rear edge is not uniformly a sharp edge but tapers to a point while mine falls short of tapering to a point. Not a big issue for me so instead of redoing the whole wing root, hairspray treatment and all, I think I'll just move on!

The tail spots are masked using bits of Blu-Tack pushed into shape with a cocktail stick.

This is a good opportunity to paint the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers.

Now it is time to paint the camo on the fuselage minus the mottling.

Still a bit of painting work to do including the trademark black tulip on the nose and the mottling on the fuselage sides. Neither the Revell kit nor the Montex masks have the tail swastika and having no appropriate spares, I am waiting on a decal set to provide the swastika.

Thanks guys!

Looks good and you seem to have the masking working for you this time around

I noticed that too Geo. Apparently, my precautions this time around made a difference in greatly reducing the lifting of paint during masking. I carefully wiped all surfaces and applied primer to the whole model prior to painting.

Thanks guys!

Camo coming together beautifully John! How do you like the Gunze paints? I actually prefer them to Tamiya.

Me 2! They are similar but I find that the Gunze lays down a wee bit smoother and I greatly prefer the satin finish over the Tamiya flat finish. The only downside, for me, is availability. My LHS doesn't stock Mr. Hobby colors.

Busy week with work and guests staying over the holidays so not much to report. I did manage to chip the hairspray-prepared wing roots. Keep in mind that the hairspray chipping will be augmented later using colored pencils.

And then I got to work on the mottling on the fuselage sides. For the mottle spray, I've been playing around with thinners other than iso alcohol for the Mr Hobby Aqueous acrylics. I seem to get a cleaner spray using Tamiya Lacquer thinner.

The archive photos of Hartmann's G-10 was used as a reference for the port mid-fuselage.

The color elements seem a bit disjointed right now but hopefully it will look more unified after the markings and weathering steps. I'll tackle the nose tulip next.

Users who are viewing this thread