**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf 109C - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys

Glued on the wings last night and it is an almost perfect fit to the fuselage. Just a bit of work at the wing leading edge, but what kit doesn't need some work there? and this is an older Hobbycraft kit!
P1012528.JPG

I drilled out the wing gun ports and had to reshape this little under-wing intake(oil cooler?). it was far too boxy when compared to pictures.
P1012529.JPG

And the Luftwaffe code decals came today. They should work great for this one and mayne even an Fw 190 I'm thinking of for a second entry in the Group Build.
P1012530.JPG

That's coming along nicely Glenn.

I've been looking for Luftwaffe letter and number decals with white outlines (red and black, outlined white) but haven't found any yet. The Peddinghaus ones were not stocked when I last checked.

Karl, I got these, I think from e-bay, which include plain numbers, and separate. black outline numbers. The first two are the same sheet(s) from 'Aeromaster', and the second, brown numbers sheets are those from 'Cutting Edge'.
I'm not sure if they'r both still current, but check Hannant's and e-bay etc.

Luftwaffe Decals 1 001.jpg
Luftwaffe Decals 1 002.jpg
Luftwaffe Decals 1 003.jpg
Luftwaffe Decals 1 004.jpg

I've been working on smoothing out the seams and re-cutting panel lines where necessary. I put the tail and braces on (picture 1) and also a little pipe that ran down in front of the radiator and through the intake housing (pictures 2 & 3) I'm ready to start the paint, but my jar of RLM 65 had dried up so I'll have to order one. In the mean time I'll work on the fiddly bits and canopy wile I'm waiting.

P1012531.JPG
Bf-109B (2).jpg
P1012532.JPG

Nice detailing Glenn. I'm wondering about the tail plane location as I'd expect the leading edges to overlap the slot. I think there was actually a connection between the two tail planes through the slot. The shot below is an E but I think the D was similar.

7672780252_4325345da1_b.jpg

The slot there was because of the main actuator of the elevator. Both sections of elevator were joined with a kind of a shaft ( pipe ) with a pusher arm. Here the diagrams ..

bf109.jpg

bf109_.jpg

There is defiantly something wrong there.

The connection between the tail fin/fuselage and the horizontal fins was the tab and slot type with no room for movement. My first thought was to break them off and re-position them, but when the picture below was compared with Andy's picture it looks like the line at the forward edge of the movable elevator is in the right place and the forward edge of the fixed fin is pretty close (maybe a touch too far back.) It looks to me like that hole is too far forward. My idea is to fill the hole and then try to depict it at the leading edge of the fin by drilling some small holes and shaping them with the sharp tip of a hobby knife.

What do you guys think?

P1012533.JPG
7672780252_4325345da1_b.jpg

The main problem is the chord of the horizontal stabilizer. It should be more large. The leading edge of the stabilizer should start at the front hole in the fin. The slot was for getting set of the attack angle of the stabilizer. Therefore the way to get it sorted out would be to cut the stabilizer into two parts along its span and add the needed piece of plastic in order to get the correct dimension of the chord. But it is fixed now and you may remove some of plastic at the back and top edges of the slot toward the leading edge of the stabilizer and add some of plastic to the front and bottom edge of the hole, Of course the general shape of the slot should be kept. Also you may add some of plastic or a putty to the leading adge of the stabilizer in order to make it more overlapping the slot partially..

p1012533a.jpg

p1012533b.jpg

p1012533c.jpg

p1012533d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back