**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf 109C - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The main problem is the chord of the horizontal stabilizer. It should be more large. The leading edge of the stabilizer should start at the front hole in the fin. The slot was for getting set of the attack angle of the stabilizer. Therefore the way to get it sorted out would be to cut the stabilizer into two parts along its span and add the needed piece of plastic in order to get the correct dimension of the chord. But it is fixed now and you may remove some of plastic at the back and top edges of the slot toward the leading edge of the stabilizer and add some of plastic to the front and bottom edge of the hole, Of course the general shape of the slot should be kept. Also you may add some of plastic or a putty to the leading adge of the stabilizer in order to make it more overlapping the slot partially..

View attachment 475413

View attachment 475414

View attachment 475417

View attachment 475418
Hell Wojtek looks like you did it already for Glenn :lol:

Good reminder and solution Wojtek my friend !
I have three Hobbycraft '109s to build at some point, and I vaguely remembered reading something about the tail planes being too narrow in chord.
The solution of altering the slot seems to work quite well, and is acceptable enough visually.
Incidentally, the slot was for the tail plane incident adjuster (the control being one of the two 'wheels' on the port side of the cockpit), which altered the AoA of the tail planes, by the degrees painted around the slot.

Glenn, I think you have the right idea with your fix. Though Wojtek's solution would probably result in a more accurate model, it's a lot of work. If you fill the entire slot and drill holes above and below the leading edges where they are now and square the holes off with a jeweller's file no one will be the wiser and it will look pretty close in my opinion.

Here's what I came up with, I think it's the best I could do without ripping off the horizontal stabilizers and starting over (which I didn't really want to do)
Its all still rough and needs sanding. I filled the holes with CA and bits of plastic shavings and filed them flush with the surface. I than drilled a series of small holes around the leasing edge of the horizontal stabilizer and connected them with the tip of a #11 hobby knife. I that filed down the leading edge of the rudder fin a small amount so the distance from it to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer looked better and used my half round needle file to put the leading edge curve back into it. I also deepened the lines between the fixed and movable portions of all the tail fins. If I had seen the trouble before hand I would have gone about it differently, but I think this fix worked out pretty good.

P1012534.JPG

That works! I think I would've just filled the hole and not worried about drilling new ones. They don't seem to be that obvious based on the photos, especially if you aren't going to do the rear holes either.

On hold here for a while. In the hospital with a bad case of vertigo. Supposed to be released later today but not sure how long it's going to be before the world stops spinning

I have had the crystals(balls) in your ears get stuck and have to be worked lose.As we get older so does the fluid I guess it starts to get thick.I hope that is whats the problem Glenn easy fix at the ENT.

Thanks guys :D

Am back home now, but the world is still spinning (but slower at least). Been told to stay home from work at least through the weekend. It would be great to get something done on work bench if only things will stop spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back