**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think Kirby has nailed it. If you do that, there likely won't be a need for a further post shade. Great stuff here.

Okay first up, here are the results of my recovery effort. I applied 9 parts thinner to 1 part XF-71 as suggested, reduced the operating pressure of the airbrush to its lowest setting and applied that mixture to the floor pan after masking. I used a total of 0.18 mls of this mix.
floor pan retouched.jpg

There is some touching up here and there, but I think that looks reasonable enough.

A task not too far away is beginning to loom. How to deal with the IP itself. The IP panel is basically a flat panel, not surface detail, onto which I attach a clearglass piece at the top. ive dry fitted that piece in the following photo;
IP back board dry fit.jpg

At least that's how I think it goes together. Lots of clean up to do and not a lot of detail either

now for the fun bit. I actually have two IP decal sheets to choose from, one is a partial set from what I believe are the original decals, the other is a Hasegawa product of higher quality, but the dial positions are not as accurate. Nevertheless I'm tending towards the Hasegawa choice.

I don't think scratch building or modification of the IP back board is advisable. I would have to pre-drill aand then recess these decal images. The tolerances to the edges of the IP aren't enough to safely do that, plus the images posted earlier in this build thread show th gauges to be a raised detail more often than a recessed one. I will have to think about this a bit more

Anyway here are the decals I have to choose from......
IP decal alternate.jpg

The kit supplied decals

IP decal Hasegawa kit.jpg

The hasegawa alternative

The cockpit floor is much better now. As to the IP, I agree the Hasegawa set looks better. I would not drill holes in the flat panel as an option. Rather, I would either just apply the decal to the panel directly or, if I had a punch, make some raise bezels from plastic card. The other way to do this would be to cut thin slices of rod, glue those on with CA, then sand them down so they are equally proud of the surface. Locating the raised parts can be tricky but you'll need some sort of template made using the decal as a basis.

Have made steady progress over the weekend, but Ive stopped short on buttoning up the fuselage. I wanted to let follow

the decals and stuff cure before I handle them too much...

Anyway, progress shots

cockpit completed 2.jpg

cockpit completed.jpg

Cockpit is basically done . I fashioned the seat cushion from a piece of modelling clay of all things

cockpit port side wall 4.jpg

cockpit starboard side wall 4.jpg

Sorry for the very bad photo. Camera didn't like the light I think. This is the port side side wall. For the starbosrd side I added some fuel and hydraulic lines and a couple of what I think were fuel lines

IP.jpg

Last.y the IP. Had some difficulties here .....

Agreed. A bit of silvering on the IP but your close-up would really accentuate that.

I'm a neophyte on Japanese types but didn't the pilot get just one shoulder belt?

Agreed. A bit of silvering on the IP but your close-up would really accentuate that.

I'm a neophyte on Japanese types but didn't the pilot get just one shoulder belt?

I couldn't see the silvering until after I had taken the photot.

I don't have any strong evidence about the harness question, but other models of this type I have seen have two shoulder straps

gotta start thinking of the main colour for the exterior. any suggestions as to mixes and percentages to use . I basically want to reproduce the image from the box art, although would aim to be a more authentic if possible.

No your right. I'm hoping that getting rid of some of the flash at the base might improve this. For a kit made in 1973, the clear parts aren't bad for clarity. its the fit that is the worry.....

Judging by the pic above it shouldn't be a trouble. It seems that the problem is at the marked area.

cockpit-final-4a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back