**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes. ive posted a detail, but am back at work so don't have access to the actual photo. Can post a clearer shot later this evening

Raiden clear part close up.jpg

The clear rod you see in the background is part of the bullet proof clear shield. I don't think that's the problem. I'm not sure what the little white or metallic bit where the cockpit edge changes direction to the right is but it also is inside the cockpit.

By the look of it is the "dash" in front of the IP. We dont know from this photo is on the starboard side. I think also that when I come to fit the canaopy it will push backwards a little more snuggly which might help.

But if it does sit too high as I suspect it will, will I have to grind or nibble down parts of the outer fuselage, in the area marked, or perhaps grind down some of the canopy itself. or some other approach ive not yet considered?

I think you should post two pics more taken from different directions. The one showing it from the port side doesn't allow to decide what should be better.

sorry guys, got home , played with my son, ate dinner and promptly fell asleep on the louge! its 1am here, but as promised ive taken some close ups of the canopy. I removed some of the flash on the port side lower edge, and taken a series of photos, most of which can see I'm gently pushing the canopy down and backwards with my finger. ive also taken (mostly) clean skin shots for you to use, then repeated these shots marking the problem areas as I see them.

So now the question is how best to make this canopy fit better....

Canopy Detail 1 .jpg

Port side forequarter. I cut my finger out of shot

Canopy Detail 2 .jpg

Rear Port quarter with main problem areas shown

Canopy Detail 3 .jpg

Canopy Detail 3A.jpg

Port side There are still issues along the lower edge, at the first turn just behind the pilot and still at the rear.

Canopy Detail 4.jpg

Port fore quarter from above . this shot highlights the problem in the dorsal at the back

Canopy Detail 4A.jpg

Canopy Detail 5.jpg

At the front there are not too many issues, though Ive accidentally covered the dorsal area with my finger

Canopy Detail 6.jpg

Canopy Detail 6A.jpg

Starboard side. Still has that yawning gaps along the lower arms and at the rear. The forequarter quaterpanels seems okay to however

so my plan at this stage is firstly to carefully sand out the remaining flah. in the dorsal area , I have to install a fairly elaborate rdf array, but I still think I should look and sanding the dorsal a bit to make it more flush with the canopy

For those areas along the lower arm centre and just abaft the pilot I'm unsure where to sand or fill. Any suggestions?

I agree with Andy. However by adding of these narrow plastic strips at the bottom of the rear glass part will result in moving it up Althought it should make the fitting there better it might cause the losing of the fitting between the main part and the rear piece of the canopy.

As far as the fitting of the canopy at the port side is concerning .. it seems it is a matter of slight sanding of the bottom edge of the windshield. It looks like the edge should be more chamfered toward the cockpit inside.

Whatever you do, take a slow and measured approach with the clear parts. Much better to make small corrective steps than to overdo it and have to correct the other way! I think you are very close right now as the gaps are not that big.

well here are the result so far. I have applied a false firewall at the rear behind the radio unit. I used tape as filler on the sills either side of the radio unit , a vertical strake for the small vertical adjacent the cockpit firewall and finally a fairly hefty chunk of plastic on the portside horizontal of the cockpit. I painted the external skin as you can see and this morning took these close ups which is the first time ive seen them as well .

I'm making progress, but I can see a bit more work is needed. I think I need to apply filler over those side bits to cover them a bit . Also some small amounts of card in the tumbledowns that step up to the IP sill.

Its better, but more work is needed.

And just to make sure I got the message, the modelling god has let me scratch the still green paintwork. Wonderful.....

COCKPIT REPAIR 1.jpg

COCKPIT REPAIR 2.jpg

COCKPIT REPAIR 3.jpg

COCKPIT REPAIR 4.jpg

COCKPIT REPAIR 5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back