**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

so guys here are my latest progress shots

COCKPIT REPAIR 1.jpg

port side. I still have some discolouration near the sill tumbledown. not sure if its visible in the flesh but will check again tomorrow.
COCKPIT REPAIR 2.jpg

Starboard side.....pretty happy with that. just used some tape and bog to even up the edges and make the canopy more flush

COCKPIT REPAIR 3.jpg

Starboard side with canopy dry fitted. ive accidentally pushed the canopy away from the camera, creating a gap along the sill The gap isn't normally there when the canopy is sitting straight

COCKPIT REPAIR 4.jpg

Port side with canopy dry fitted. there is quite a bit of flex in the canopy, plus the whole thing is sitting a bit proud because the split in the clear part at the rear 9to house the radio support staunchian) is taped up and making the clear part sit on top of that girder....

COCKPIT REPAIR 5.jpg

A better idea of how the canopy is sitting when I don't have everything taped up

Your attention to that fix issue has paid off Michael. Great job! As for the discolouration, I wouldn't get my shorts in a know about it. This happened on real aircraft all the time.

ive prepared the canopy for spraying by applying a hardcoat to the masking, also just adding a few refinements and "smoothing to that masking.

ive started work on the underside by attaching the inlet scoop and working on the seam which wasn't all that good.

Prepped the prop and spinner. Painting instructions say that the spinner should be painted red/brown the same as the prop blades. Colour plates that came with the kit indicate the same . I would have thought the spinner would more reddish than the props, I will look into this a bit further and see what other people have interpreted this as. .

Some progress shots:
Canopy.jpg

Clearly some work needed here . Some of the paint work has come away. The close ups are brutal, but I think I can touxh up what I have so that it will be decent.

Prop.jpg

I still have masking behind the spinner so that the metal parts holding the props will appear as bare metal when finished. still unsure about this colour, but these are the instructions

Underside.jpg

fuselage underside has been filled and sanded , painted and preshaded. Will apply a topcoat as a very thin wash which will hopefully retain some of the weathering effects

Thanks Terry, much appreciated. that certainly seems to confirm that the kit painting instructions about the prop and spinner are correct.. Also gives some pointers on how possibly to tackle those exhaust stubs

Currently completing the underside and getting the undercart ready......Touched up the canopy a little....very sparingly, and it does look better.

Photos soon guys

A few more progress shots. I find it easier to explain the shots as I go:

CANOPY RETOUCHED.jpg

A really poor shot of the port side with the canopy touched up. I basically used a very fine hairstick and carefully retouched the lines. Still needs some work....

CANOPY RETOUCHED 2.jpg

Starboard side, a;so showing the retouching I have done. Still needs a bit of work, but better. The IJN green is very vulnerable to showing every bit of dust as you can see.

Prop unmasked 2.jpg

This is how my prop turned out after the masking was removed. I think I will apply another clear coat before assembly.

Prop unmasked.jpg

With the spinner dry fitted, showing the hints metal centre piece underneath. this was the effect I was looking for in this element

undercarriage 1.jpg

The LG bays and drop tank . Pretty happy with the LG bays ...the dry brushing has worked well I think. The tank will have to come off however. I did not see that atrocious seam . a lot of filling and sanding there I can see

undercarriage 2.jpg

A different shot of the wheel wells and drop tank, also shows some of the details ive added to the underwing area. I highlighted the the ammunition ejection ports with a dark aluminium. Kit said paint them black, but my test cards showed that to be way too strong. I am reasonably happy with that......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back