**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Michael.
If it's possible to do so, the drop tank would benefit from having the joint seams filed down and sanded, and the sprue attachment points removed fully. Of course, this will damage the paint and require a re-paint, but should be worth the little extra effort.

Hmm Ive removed the tank and fixed the seam issue. (Ive done a lot of other work as well over the weekend, and will post progress shots in a short while).

Removing those sprues is problematic. From the 'planes Of fame site, there are details of the drop tank attachment points. It appears there is just a single The tank is a different shape and colour, and that attachment point is well forward compared to tamiya's interpretation

Ive also noticed they painted the wheel wells the same (or similar….it might even be a shade of white) colour as the underside of the fuselage

upload_2017-12-4_15-29-58.png

Regarding the wheel bays colours.. I would be carful rather with planes exibited in museums. Being displayed there doeasn't mean the colours could be right. I haven't found any reliable info on the wheel bays but it seems that these coupld be either of the grey or silver colour depending on the underside coat.

Concerning the fuel tank... It appears that the plane could carry fuel tanks of two different capacity, the 300l and the 400l ones. The one in your pics is said to be the 300l fuel tank. Here two shots I found via the net..

raiden fuel tank_300l.jpg

raiden fuel tank_300l_.jpg

And again I would be carful of its colour. Here you are shots of the kite with the white 1105 number on the tail. These images indicate the fuel tank could be of quite light tone ( I would say it was of light greay , it's very likely, of the same tone the undersides were ). What is more, the glare at the side line of the tank and its "nose" suggests the gloss paint. Here pics... I enlarged the interesting us areas of these pics in order to get a better looking at.

raiden fuel tank_1.jpg

raiden fuel tank_1a.jpg

raiden fuel tank_1b.jpg

raiden fuel tank_2.jpg

raiden fuel tank_2a.jpg

raiden fuel tank_2b.jpg

Concerning the attachment point of the fuel tank.. I have found two profiles showing the tank attached. The bottom one presents both the 300l and 400l fuel tanks attached. The first one is from Japanes source while the second one was found via the net. The Japanese profile shows the attaching point moved more back comparing to the one in the second profile. Also the second profile suggest using of the supports for making the tanks stable. However I didn't find any pic confirming these struts. But back to the attaching point. Looking at the first diagram posted above and the Japanes profile it might have been correct. But comparing to the two next diagrams and images of the 1105 kite it seems to be wrong. The attaching point for both tanks seems to be at the centre of them, the fuselage rack seems to be located a little bit back of the back edges of the wheel bay doors or almost between them. So , the second profile is fine comparing it to the pictures of the 1105 kite and the Japanese profile is incorrect.

J2M3 Raiden Model21_300-400l_a.jpg

J2M3 Raiden Model21_300-400l_.jpg

And finally I have found via the net , a picture showing the kind of the fuel tank exibited in the museum. The main pylon seems to be attached to the fueslage betwen the wheel bay doors. No additional struts there.

raiden fuel tank_300l_b.jpg

But also I found the image. Not of too great quality but it can be notice that the wheel bay doors hide the front part of the fuel tanks. Both planes seem to carry two different fuel tanks , the large 400l one for the first J2M whlie the second one in the background seems to be equipped with the 300l one. IMHO both of them are of the same capacity. However It doesn't matter because both of them have the front part covered with the doors. So it seems that the Japanese profile might be also right though. Or the attachment point could vary from one J2M version to another one. Anyway the Tamiya's interpretation of the shape of the fuel tank and the way of attaching seems to be correct if compared to pictures of the 1105 plane.

raiden fuel tank_300l_b.jpg

Thanks so much for the information wurger. great help as always. Andy I agree, which was why I was reticent to modify the tanks in that way. Wotcheks information suggests however more than a single attachment point.

I need to think for a short while and make the best decision that I can.....

Great progress on the Raiden. Take your time with the drop tank... it'll be worth the effort once you determine the right attachment configuration.

To weather, or not to weather, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The justified criticisms of my peers from my outrageous decision,

Or to take arms and build as my heart so desires…..

And by the results end my doubt. To build a model that is faithful to its history, battered and worn ,

No more; and by decision build a shiny shiny demon to adorn my collection,

The heart-ache and the thousand natural setbacks stand between me and the goal that I seek

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to build a shiny and new looking model, with perfect finish;

To ogle at the finish, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:

For in that desire for shiny newness what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause—there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long a build.

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,

The insolence of seniority, and the spurns

That patient merit of th'unworthy (thats me) takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare airbrush and hairstick? Who would fardels bear (no idea what that is),

To grunt and sweat under a weary life, to curse that the paint is ungodly and evil

But that the dread of something after completion,

The undiscovere'd finish, the unrequited desire for perfection, from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will,

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all (but me especially),

And thus the native hue of the object of this build

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pitch and moment

With this regard their currents turn awry

And lose the name of action.

[what Im trying to say is that I will post some progress shots of my build tonite. Ive attached the canopy, applied a respray to the upper body and put a clear seal over that finish. Ive decided not to weath, and the thing looks very shiny now…….

So as promised some progress shots. Tell you the truth, I still am not sure if I want to weather the upper surfaces or not. Nothing like having a plan!!!!!
If I do go down the path of some weathering it will be very basic, perhaps some chipping near the wing root, that kind of thing.

LG Oleos.jpg

So first shot is the LG leg as ive painted them. Some of the other online builds have added brake lines and in the following shots of the wheels you will see that Tamiya have added suitable details of the brake lines to those wheels. It will be fiddly though.

undercarriage 1.jpg

Here are the undercarriage fairings with the wheels dry fitted . Ive dry brushed the brake drums which shows that nice brake line detail pretty well. ive painted the tyres by hand using rubber black. they are only dry fitted to the fairing at the moment , whilst I try and work out how to get that dirt look around the rim of the tyre. I also need to make a decision about the brake line detail and whether I should shade them differently to the wheel rim casing....maybe a slightly darker colour?

undercarriage 2.jpg

The UC fairings . if I fit these lines it would be to these that the attachment would be made
Starboard side.jpg

Starboard side finish. Like I said....its shiny......ive added some details in the cowl area by highlighting the circular inspection plate, painting the exhaust stubs, and also highlighting those latchy looking things behind the exhausts. I painted and shined up that round thing that will sit behind the spinner.

The shiny finish was the result of a respray, followed by two clear lacquer coats. I let them dry for more than 24 hours applied a very light buffing to make it shine. it might not be war, or closely historical, but I got a kick out of doing it just the same.

Port side shiny.jpg

The port side showing a bit more detail. The canopy did not bed in as good as I had hoped and at this magnification, the imperfections of the painting really do reveal their ugly selves. but you can see my exhaust detailing pretty clearly here as well as those latchy things closer to the canopy. The bits of fluff are just leftovers from the buff I did.

Port side shiny cowl.jpg

A better shot of the port side cowling detail

Port side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back