**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Bf109E-4B - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, well that's OK then.

The Bf109 that we have in our Flying Heritage Museum has that same Weeping Bird emblem on the side of it.

Yes, I'm aware. I've seen that 109 and it's a beaut. The emblem was carried by aircraft of II/JG51 (the 2nd Group of Fighter Wing 51) and is actually not supposed to be "weeping" but rather has a runny nose.

A final push to the finish line got me over. The only thing left to do was to add the antenna wire and this I did using invisible mending thread. Dabs of CA painted white represent the insulators and pieces of stretched sprue glued to the ends represent the springs. Though these are a bit off center, I think the effect outweighs the slight asymmetry. The lead to the fuselage also ends in a white insulator and this was made by CA gluing a short length of cut rod.

18060303.jpg
18060309.jpg
18060310.jpg

I then shot a dozen finished pics before realizing that I hadn't done the exhaust stains yet. So I binned the pics and sprayed on a thin streak of highly thinned flat black behind the exhausts and re-shot the pics. And with that, I will declare victory and call this one done. Thanks to all who contributed info and support for this build.

18060304.jpg
18060305.jpg
18060306.jpg
18060307.jpg
18060308.jpg
18060311.jpg

Thanks very much chaps. I just noticed an area in one of the close-ups that I will need to fix up if I ever enter this one into a contest.

Oh, well that's OK then.

Yes, I'm aware. I've seen that 109 and it's a beaut. The emblem was carried by aircraft of II/JG51 (the 2nd Group of Fighter Wing 51) and is actually not supposed to be "weeping" but rather has a runny nose.
I tried to translate the saying under the image and as near as I could come it says something like God Punish England. Why they thought England needed to be punished I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back