**** DONE: GB-40 1:72 Junkers Ju88 A-4 - Heavy Hitters III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff. I sure don't envy you 1:72 guys masking multi-panel canopies. I have now officially given up on 1:48. If it isn't a bubbletop, I'm going to spring for pre-cuts. The little extra expense is OK if it saves my sanity

No Canucks game tonight, watching their games is like driving by a car wreck, you just have to slow down and take a look. Mind you they aren't playing half bad, It's usually after the all star game they start to tank but I've been down this road many times since 1971. I'll either get lots of time building models or not so much, we'll see. In the meantime got some paint work done tonight, under sides done. Top side tomorrow !

Ju-88A-4 (35)r.jpg

I used what I always use, Testors Model Master Enamels, love the stuff ! Thinned with mineral spirits, it's idiot proof ! I have a set of Vallejo acrylics I was going to try out but I chickened out at the last moment in favour of something I'm familiar with. I'll try the acrylics out on a crappy model first I think in case it turns into a flub job !

Vallejo is great as long as you are patient in waiting for the paint to set up and care with the masking tape

What would you thin it with ? Seems everywhere I check there's a different answer. I was going to try rubbing alcohol ? Seems to work well with other acrylics I've been using but not on models.

Alcohol is a big no-no from what I've read. I use an Aztek A470 with tan .30mm nozzle shoot at about 18psi. and use Vallejo's Flow Improver, 10 drops of paint and 2 drop flow improver ratio. To prevent tip dry I will spray for about 10 seconds and then send a blast of air through the air brush to remove any errant paint. If I'm going to mask for another color I'll let the paint harden for 24 hours. I'll then remove as much tackiness from the Tamiya tape as possible and when the taping is done I'll run a thin line of clear along the edge of the tape. Others complain about paint lift but this has worked very well for me. I do know that the original Vallejo Model Air was bad but improvements were made. I and Terry (Airframes) have also successfully sprayed Vallejo Model Color with a 1:1 paint/water blend. For clean-up I will blow a paint cup full of water through the air brush and then windex...water...windex and finally water again. Overkill maybe but it works for me

I have a Lindberg Arado 234 and a Frog Heinkel 162 both of which are stellar kits that I'm working on a Mistel project for a Luft 46 thing. My rule of thumb is if they built it I'll build it so I don't really go for the Luft 46 kits but the 234 and the 162 actually existed, though a Mistel is a bit of a stretch. I'm going to use the Vallejo paints on that first to try them out. On the subject of painting. I got the upper surface completed tonight. RLM 70/71 usuals over 65. Tomorrow the decals. I'm a spazz when it comes to decals and there's a ton of them. Most of them so small you won't even notice if I don't use ! I wish manufacturers would get in the habit of supplying two sheets of decals. Nothing more stressful than fumbling a one of decal !! Part of the reason I drink !

Ju-88A-4 (36)r.jpg

Ju-88A-4 (38)r.jpg

Ju-88A-4 (40)r.jpg

Ju88A-4 (43)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back