**** DONE: GB-40 1:72 Junkers Ju88 A-4 - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And what was so hard for him to understand that Bustedwing was not going for historical accuracy?

Some people...smh
Its not even proven that he was right. BWs version is the mainstream belief on the historical application of the camo scheme on the real thing. and what the kit instructions say should be applied. If it were my model I would not be changing the scheme on the information provided in that brief exchange.

Even that's not it though. It just made me cranky to witness the lack of respect and disregard to the unwritten comradeship that we all know and enjoy in this corner of the forum. The guy just stomped on those values like it was worthless. In fact its priceless. The vibe round here is at worst friendly competition, at best, a bunch of guys doing stuff they enjoy.

I apologise BW for my part in this. Please continue as I thoroughly enjoy watching you work

Last edited:
Well if anything it was cheap entertainment with no commercial breaks. I haven't been at the model much over the last few days. Mostly cleaning up around the house. There's a bit more sanding to do and cleaning up some panel lines that disappeared and then hit the paint. I picked up a set of Vallejo acrylic paints for the Luftwaffe. I've heard that Testors is going to stop making the Model Masters Enamels so I may try them out, never used acrylics before apart from brush painting. I know some people swear by the stuff !

This is from the attached link;

Advantages & Disadvantages of Acrylic Paint - ACRYLIC PAINT PRO
Advantages
  • Acrylics are a favorite form of paint for many artists because of their ability to dry quickly, unlike oil paints, which can take several weeks to dry.
  • It is possible to dilute these paints with water. When diluted, the resulting painting can look similar to a watercolor painting.
  • Despite the fact that acrylic paints can be diluted in water when being used to create a work of art, they are also highly resistant to water once the art dries. This helps protect and preserve the final piece.
  • Acrylic paints are also thought to be more permanent than other types of paint. Acrylics have shown no signs of changing, yellowing, or cracking in the 50+ years since they have been invented.
  • Acrylics are flexible, able to expand and contract without cracking or splitting. Cracks can allow water beneath the paint film, causing peeling.
  • Wet paint can be cleaned off of brushes with soap and water.
  • These paints are resistant to mildew, unlike the many paint brands that need anti-mildew chemicals incorporated into the paint.
Disadvantages
  • There are some minor toxins in acrylic paint. The toxins are released during the painting process as fumes. In rare cases the fumes may irritate the eyes. Because acrylic paints are water-based, there are no highly toxic spirits required.
  • Once acrylic paint has dried it cannot be altered or removed.
  • Acrylics have only been around for 50+ years, unlike oil paints which have been around for centuries. It cannot yet be determined how acrylics will hold up after a few hundred years.

Well I'll tell you what. People laugh at me and think I'm a dinosaur because neither the War dept. or myself owns a cell phone or smart phone or soother as I like to call them. I still listen to albums on a turntable and use shaving soap so going acrylic is going to be a big step for me ! I know it's getting harder and harder to find oil based paints, the local hardware store doesn't even sell them any more. I'm eager to give them a try but I think I might use a crappy kit first ! Sooner or later I'm going to have to make that giant step into the 21st century.

Caption reads " Ju-88 crashed near Catania" . Given the poor quality of colour photography of the day could those engine nacelles be yellow ?? Mmmmmmm ?

yellow.jpg

Photo, swiped from a Luftwaffe Face Plant group.

I have enlarged the shot for you. IMHO nope.. the engine cowling wasn't of the yellow. Just the dust and overheating.

yellow1.jpg

However the A-4 ( believing the caption ) seems to have the bottom parts of the engine cowling and the wing tips of the yellow or white colour. However it might be the light trick judging by the front part of the fuselage.

Ju88-A4-LG1-(A)-Over-Sicily_1941.jpg

the pic source: Ju 88a 4 Sicily June 1941 Revell 1 72 Finished 19 - Gambarsurat.com

Here the similar effect while the wing tips and the fuselage band look like being of the yellow.

Junkers_Ju_88_of_KG_3.jpg

the pic source: Junkers Ju 88 of KG 3 | World War Photos

According to the kit the wing tips are white along with the fuselage stripe. Also all the control surfaces of the tail are yellow as well. As I said earlier, just because you can't prove the Sasquatch exists you also can't prove it doesn't ! I press on ! Currently masking the canopy, should take a few days between trips to the shrink !

My opinion on the shots provided by the professor are that the lower halves are a different colour to the upper areas of the cowl . If the shot was from the Balkans it will be yellow banding as most air units sent there for Operations Marita and Merkur were under the command of 4th Air Fleet, which at this time was based in the southern sector of the Eastern Front. The exception to this were the ju52 formations which were special attachments drawn mostly from the LW bomber training schools.

It is unlikely that the aircraft has white banding (which would signal it was under the command of the med cmd). There were less than 200 bombers allocated to the med TO, of which less than 40 were Ju88ss in April. more units were added as the year dragged on, so determining when those photos were taken is almost as significant as determining where. The image of the downed Ju88 appearing in posts 173 1nd 174 look similar to the terrain found in Sicily. That aircraft appears to have a white flash just in front of the tail . The mountain in the background would have to be Mt Etna (near Syracuse), but it would need to be confirmed that mt Etna has snow caps at some point in the year......….. the other shots are not from airbases in either Sicily or North Africa at this time. Other than that, I confess Im not sure where they might have been taken

Marathon masking. Pack my eye balls back in my face and call it a night ! I gave up on the so called " clear hockey tape" doesn't cut it in tight places, much like our Canucks and went back to aluminum tape. Paint tomorrow !

Ju88A-4 (34)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back