**** DONE: GB-40 1:72 Junkers Ju88 A-4 - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You could fake it by cutting the fairing on the flap at the right angle.
I thought about doing it like that at first but I realized it might just look like as the flap lowered it would be just closing up a gap between the fairing until it butted up to the back of the nacelle. I wanted it to be visually obvious that it tucked up inside the nacelle.

Bombs, props, landing gear, engines and wheels. I bit of work between Christmas hijinks. The bombs are a riot. 7 pieces each, 2 halfs, 4 fins and one annular ring. According to the instructions the bombs are 2 different colours. Light olive matt, which looks like RLM 02 and Light grey silky matt which I really couldn't find a match for. Some kind of light grey.
I ended up going with RLM 70, it seems most SC250 bombs were that colour though it seems there is a lot of discussion as to which colour is accurate ?

Ju88A-4 (31)r.jpg

It's a good move, Graham.
It's a good detail that you put in the colors. All the pieces look good.

Saludos :thumbup:

That looks like the first colour is black or possibly RLM 70 which is black green ?, The second white or some shade of grey ? RLM 65 and then something similar to RLM 02 ? I have seen all these colours called for but which one is in fact the right one ? Therein lies the confusion. So many sites on the web have so many different possibilities. Even when I look at kits others have built there is so much variation . Brain pain !

The first is actually a dark grey, not green. The light one is silver, the theory being that dark colours in tropical environments absorb sunlight, increasing interior temperature. This was eventually replaced with light blue.

Not sure what scheme you are doing but time and theatre would dictate the colours.

The version I am building is indicated as Catania and Sicily June 1941. RLM65/70/71. There are two types of bombs, both I believe are SC250s. One has an annular fin brace the other has struts and according to the instructions are two different colours ? The colours would match the diagram you posted. The colour the instructions refer to as light olive matt is also used for much of the interior except the cockpit so it makes sense it would be RLM 02. The other light grey silky matt could be the second bomb in the diagram or what you refer to as silver. So I guess the next question, should Italy be considered Tropical ? The bottom bomb RLM 02 is out because it's after 1942 ? Ok, while I'm at it, oleo boots, Black, grey or leather coloured, my rule of thumb is usually black rubber ? Now you know why I occasionally drink !

drink !
bomb instructions0002.jpg

The bomb in the #57 seems to be the SC-250 one with brackets. However these struts look incorrectly. Also it can be the SC-500. The one seen in the #56 seems to be the SD-500 or PC-500.
The silver (aluminium) colour was used for tropical climate just for the initial series of bombs only. The basic colour was the Lightblau before the July 1942.
Before the July 1942 the bombs for the normal climate were of the RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau ( dark grey) . After the July 1942 all bombs were of RAL 7027 Sandgrau (grey-beige) quite similar to the RLM02 in tone.
Additionally it should be mantioned that there happened bombs with parts of different colours. For instance blue or silver tails while bodies were of the dark grey or Dunkelgrun RLM71. So really, no rule for that .

German bombsww2.jpg

bomby-niemieckie_1.jpg

That's great info thanks. I think I might go with the dark grey. RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau appears to be close to RLM 66. I can't imagine Italy as being thought of as tropical. I think that would apply to N Africa only. Any thoughts on the oleo boots ? I'm inclined to paint them a leather colour or brown.

Last edited:
The southern part of Italy and Sicily are quite hot areas. So it might be consider as the tropical. But I don't think Germans thought about that in the way. Although some their stuff there was of the trop variants and comouflage, they used the ETO stuff with the standard camo variant as well.

I've made my boots dark grey and dusted them up.

View attachment 523618

Note that the bombs often had the yellow stripes on the tail cone. This is my SC500:

View attachment 523619
That looks great ! The bomb does look a bit more green than grey though ? The grey looks good on the boots. Again, some pictures they look brown others grey and others still black. The decal sheet has a bunch of yellow stripes for the bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back