**** DONE: GB-40 1:72 Junkers Ju88 A-4 - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes.. the strips were colour markings of a bomb type. For instance the demolation bombs SC had the yellow single strip while the fragmentation-demolation SD ones had the red strip. The high capacity bombs SB had initially yellow strip like the SC bombs but later these got two parallel stripes there. The kinetic armour piercing bombs PC had longitudinal blue stripes. Also there were used rings and colour noses for marking.
The colours can be seen in the Spreng-Bomben table posted above as the colour of a tail there. The last row of the table show the shapes of the strips and their width in milimeters.

The bomb does look a bit more green than grey though ? .

The official colours were as had been posted earlier.

Nice work. A few detail images from the RAF Museum's Ju 88 night fighter.

32661051278_83bc6d18a8_b.jpg

bomb bay doors

31594177247_a0c06c79b6_b.jpg

bomb bay

31594177127_cde4c7c9ee_b.jpg

flap fairing

31594176907_e7a828e554_b.jpg

main wheel

31594176747_f1110d30cc_b.jpg

strip light
Formation light on the night fighter only?

31594176607_d78deafc3f_b.jpg

tail wheel bay

31594176367_38218feba9_b.jpg

undercarriage bay

31594175927_8b4a0634b7_b.jpg

weird drain hole

If you want specific areas, although not of the interior, let me know.

Uh oh, looks like Flickr are about to do a Photobucket...

Last edited by a moderator:
Same aircraft, but its at Cosford now. I'm curious about that strip light on the underside. I do suspect it's for the night fighter version only, unless someone can enlighten.

I agree with Andy.
Not sure that it is actually a light - seems rather large, and would be a 'give away' to other, less friendly aircraft. Perhaps a different type of antenna ?

Yep.. that's not any strip light. That's the clear plexiglass cover of the FuBI 2 antenna that appeared with the C-4 version. The modified FuBI 2 antenna rack was moved farther to the rear and enclosed with the transparent cover to reduce the drug.

Ju_88_C_of_3.NJG_2_in_Derna_or_El_Daba_1942a.jpg

Junkers-Ju-88C-4.NJG2-(R4+GM)-Wilhelm-Beier-WNr-360219-Holland-03a.jpg

Ju 88C6 FuBI 2 antenna.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Yep. Just checked further.
The Ju-88A4 would normally have had the earlier 'Lorenz' beam approach antenna, as supplied in most kits.
The aircraft now at RAFM Cosford has the opaque (glass fibre ?) covered antenna, shown from a different angle below.

JU-88 Cosford..jpg

Antenna makes a lot more sense than flying around at night looking like the aisle in front of the cooler at the beer and wine store !

Good stuff and info

I was there in '77 as well, November. I was wearing a Habs jersey. From the "German Explosive Ordnance" manual. No dates but for future reference...

I took a ton of pictures but I can't find any of the Ju 88. I was 15 at the time and thought the Sunderland outside was the coolest exhibit there. I ended up painting the bombs more of a field grey colour or at least what I thought it should look like, field grey kind of looked too green to me. I used RLM 66 and added some black but I think I over did it a tad. There are lots of decals for the bomb load in black and they are barely noticeable if at all ! At least the blue and yellow stripes show.

IMHO he field grey paint indicated in Geo's post is just a direct translation from German's "feldgrau" In fact it was a dunkelgrau ( dark grey ) colour used for helmets and quite close to the RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau..

Here the colour..

s-l300a.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Actually the name of the colour is used for the colour of the German's uniform. But it could have been of 16 tones at least. However, I would like to pay your attention to the last one on right in the bottom row. Does it look familiar?

feldgrau 16 tones.jpg

And a couple more shots of the German SC bombs..

SCbomb.jpg

SCbomb_a.jpg

SC-500_a.jpg

SC-500_b.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back