**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the tub glued together and resting comfortably. There are still a few parts to add but after it sets up. The next bug-bear with a few builds was the wing fit to the fuselage at the wing namely at the wing root. Odd that the fuselage has locating pins and the wings don't but I did get a decent fit.

IMG_0003.JPG

Another odd thing was these two divots...

IMG_0005.JPG

....they aren't at the attachment point, these located on the leading edge and wing root. The test fit, not very optimistic...

IMG_0010.JPG

A few builders attached the top halves to the fuselage first and then added the lower wing section. I've never done this before

Sure hope so Terry. Just found out another thing. Its hard to tell in the above photo but the panel line on the cowl is mis-aligned.

1560104723110.png

Did some checking and found out that this panel line is only on Castle Bromwich made Spitfires and won't apply to mine so this will be filled; saves a bit of fiddly re-scribing

Last edited:
Nice research Geo. I've tried gluing the uppers to the fuselage before the lowers are glued and the result was meh. Hard to get the right dihedral unless everything fits well, but if that were the case there would be no need to take those measures.

Minor set-back. While push fitting the final bulkhead head in for the third time it snapped in four places. This was because I was trying to gain about ½mm on the left side.

1560135782794.png

I've got the main frame glued back together and letting it set. I'll glue the cross member piece in later and when that has set I'll coat the back with CA. Then I'll thin the tabs so the fit will be looser............I hope

Sux about the cross member, Looking good so far.

I usually don't like gluing the wings to the fuselage, I did that with the AM IL2 and it made things worse. I'm not sure how things would have worked out if I would have done things conventionally, but by gluing the wings to the fuselage first I got a very nice even lip at the joint which matches the molding of the lower wing, and did not use any filler. I don't think it hurt the dihedral any. Here you can see there isn't a major gap between the upper and lower wing.
IMG_20150910_202434154_zpszjy3ue2u.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG

Very tidy fit. The cross member proved to be too finicky to re-attach so I've removed all the rest of it and will replace it with some plastic strip which just so happens to be the same width

Thanks Andy. Cross-member installed though I never added the lightning holes. Not sure why it looks a bit lop-sided and wider at one end as it isn't.

IMG_0003.JPG

While the glue sets up I went back to the wing/fuselage issue. This didn't seem to seat properly in the front so I put some black paint on the ends of the two tabs(A) at the bottom of the fuselage and found the problem. They are supposed to seat into the slots in the wings(2)

IMG_0004.JPG

As you can see, the miss the mark...

IMG_0006.JPG

...not sure if I'll trim the tabs or add a spacer. This might have a bit to do with the gaps at the wing roots

Nice work thus far Geo!I have this one on the model room floor same exact kit but also have a Hurricane with that Azure Blue finish I think Sicily(?) if I do a 2nd entry?:thumbright:

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. Cross-member installed though I never added the lightning holes. Not sure why it looks a bit lop-sided and wider at one end as it isn't.

While the glue sets up I went back to the wing/fuselage issue. This didn't seem to seat properly in the front so I put some black paint on the ends of the two tabs(A) at the bottom of the fuselage and found the problem. They are supposed to seat into the slots in the wings(2)

As you can see, the miss the mark...

...not sure if I'll trim the tabs or add a spacer. This might have a bit to do with the gaps at the wing roots

Hey Geo, do that with the cockpit tub inserted as it will spread the fuselage.

Thanks Tim, Kevin and Wojtek. Started buttoning up the innards before I totally destroyed the rear bulkhead. The top above the cross member came off this time but all good now :rolleyes:. I was worried about strength when I first started opening the lightning holes.

IMG_0001.JPG

Gluing in the wing innards now. No locating points here and the fit is a wee bit loose.

IMG_0002.JPG

This may pose a problem as the inserts also must fit into more precise locations on the upper wing halves. Once I added glue I placed the upper half on top to ensure it all lined up. Ignore the slight misalignment in the photo as it is gosh darned impossible to hold firmly and photograph at the same time.

IMG_0005.JPG

Next to be added is a cross member spanning at the rear of the wheel wells to, as another builder said, "....to ensure proper dihedral..." Before I close the wings up I'm going to measure the strengthening strips on the top of the wheel well. Its mentioned in another build that my new Italeri Spitfire is lacking this detail I can add this

Good stuff Geo.
Before adding the strengthening straps to the next model, check your subject aircraft, as these were retro-fitted, and not present on all MkVs, particularly early ones.

Spars in place. I mentioned above that they were to the rear of the wheel wells but they are at the front. An occasional problem I have with instructions as I always assume the are printed the way I am holding the part. Anyhoo....you can also see where the infamous landing gear attachment will take place. must not forget to attach light....must not forget to attach light..................................

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back