**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oops !
Of course it is !
I'm a bit paranoid, as I posted the reply straight after writing instructions for my mechanic friend to check and adjust the parking brake on my van, when he does the service !
It's currently prevented from rolling back (should it slip out of 1st gear) by a brick behind a rear wheel !!!

So, like an idiot I cut open the door. I did this for a few reasons. If you want the canopy to be closed, you need to make two cuts at the arrows. This looked a little finicky. To pose the canopy open with the door closed, it seems rare and though I have found one, there were maintenance people all over the aircraft. Lastly, the door in the fuselage didn't have the crowbar while the extra piece does. Its a good thing a made a pre-emptive paint strike on the spare part

1559071748455.png

Weekend over, camp bus in an hour. Have a good week gentlemen

Quick question before I go. Was the front of the canopy frame painted. I recall reading that it wasn't. This photo seems to support this but its from a later Mark, a PR Mk. XIX. If this is true, would it be unpainted or metallic as shown?

1559073812793.png

Not only painted but with the metal frame for both the early and late style of the windshield as well.

spitV_a.jpg

spitV_b.jpg

spitV_c.jpg

spitV_d.jpg

spitV_e.jpg

spitV_f.jpg

spitV_g.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Yep. The PRXIX had a pressurised cockpit, and the canopy slid into a sealed recess to enable pressurisation, hence the lack of frame.
All non-pressurised Spits, from Mk 1 onwards, had a framed canopy.

Not much to report, fiddling with the cockpit to ensure a good fit when the fuselage halves are joined. Finished painting the last of the cockpit innards.

IMG_0001.JPG

Of course, touch-ups on the bottle required. I was going to get all fancy and lean the joystick forward. I had read in reviews that the elevators were separate and wanted to drop them for the first time. I don't think this is now possible. I'll give it a test drive and look a period photos to see if it looks realistic or not

IMG_0003.JPG

This is that whacking great ID light on the bottom of the fuselage that has interfered with some builds; butting up against the cockpit. I'll remove everything above the first step

IMG_0005.JPG

More fun with the PE harnesses. It took about 5ish minutes figure out how to do one. The next one should be easy.........ish.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Thanks guys. Harnesses are done and setting. The second lap belt was still a pain as the opening for the strap is just barely wide enough for the strap to pass through. Two pieces labelled 12 on the PE fret need to be added to the shoulder harnesses. These are slightly over 2mm so to avoid CA sticking where it shouldn't and the parts going where they should I used my lady stick; worked like a charm. I've used Lion Roar harnesses before and what I like about them is that both sides are covered by tape. Cut the parts through the tape to avoid nasty pings. Paint tomorrow.

1559967692696.png

Harnesses done, the should belts aren't glued yet. You can't tell that I painstakingly scraped the paint off the grommets to reveal the brass colour of the original PE but you can sure tell where I need touch-ups

1560041025944.png

This will be attached to 4 mounting points that may add up 2²mm. I forgot to paint the radiator lever despite pointing it out so once that's done and installed I can finish the cockpit tub and closed up the fuselage

Thanks Andy. Rad lever installed but not without a fight.

1560046769324.png
Every time I add something to the left side, I have to temporarily add the right side until the glue on the left side sets to make sure it all lines up. Very time consuming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back