**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. The struggle continues, Pt II. I counted this time. 14 attempts to get the part in for a test fit. 3 more after the first filing. 5 more after the second filing.........glue. I took a photo this time to show the fit before fixing.

Smart George rarely shows up during these trying times. Had he been here, he would have drilled holes at the landing gear attachment points before gluing in the above pieces. Here is how Airfix wants you to attach the gear to the above piece...

Once the wing pieces have thoroughly set, I'm going to CA the beejaysuz outta them and then drill out the holes

Chin up George you are getting there.

I remember the fit of the undercarriage being "unconventional", and unnecessarily complex but i managed it, and i am confident you will too.

With completion of this stage the rest will be plain sailing by comparison.

Cheers Greg

Not a problem. I have the Mk. I, the PR.XIX and the Seafire F.XVII to build, at least I have a heads up for what is yet to come. Bored out the landing gear attachment points for a wire insert. Others have bemoaned the soft plastic but this was a plus for me here. Note the little bit of plastic removed on the side just from drilling. Gotta remember to remove the rest of that attachment point

I don't recall having any real issues with the landing gear on mine, a bit fiddly yes though. I didn't bother drilling any holes in mine and they are standing up as well as any other kit I have. The plus(and minus) about Airfix plastic is it thoroughly dissolves with glue which creates a strong bond, but, in this case creates an alignment issue, getting and keeping things straight was a bit of a pain.....

One could, if one was really brave, glue the bits together before installing them in the wing installing the wheels/doors after painting, which is probably how I will do it if I do another one.

Thanks guys. Looking like a Spitfire now.

Two wee spots to fill at the front of the wing roots and the one manufacturing glitch by the the right aileron. Next up, the tail feathers

Looks like you are about ready to throw some paint at it, here are some downloadable Piant Masks if you are interested, which I used on mine. They are designed for the Hasegawa kit, and I had to reduce them to 96% but with a little fettling they worked out good I think. Lookin good from here

Thanks guys and thanks for the heads up Tim; downloaded. Somewhere in the house is a memory card with last nights progress....somewhere. The stabilizers are in two pieces, again with no location pegs or holes. There is a small slot in the bottom part and this fits into the top forming a pretty solid alignment point. To make sure of this I put three small dots of tube glue on the bottom parts and pressed the two together. This gave me time to make sure everything was aligned all the way around. I then ran Tamiya liquid around the joins. These were then fitted to the rudder with a very good, tight fit.

I wish I had had a way to test the next step earlier. I didn't think it was possible to do the natural droop of the elevators when I looked at the instructions but now a test fit shows it is possible, c'est la vie. Part "C25" looks destined to get lost.

I doubt I'll get to painting before I head back to camp but I have a question about Airfix's choice for the bottom colour, Beige Green or as they say approx. Sky. To save time, here is a link to the photo on Pg.1.... GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Airfix paint guide...

Thanks Hugh. So....I got this from "Malta Spitfire Aces" which shows a photo of my aircraft. ".........this aircraft left the factory in the standard desert colour scheme of Middle Stone and Dark Earth but with Sky Blue undersides instead of the more common Azure Blue. Sky Blue was best described as a light powder blue, and not at all like standard Sky. Indeed, it was similar to Luftwaffe RLM 76. On landing in Malta, the March delivery of Spitfires were said to have been repainted in "dark grey"(presumably Extra Dark Sea Grey).....but with the Sky Blue undersides untouched." I'm going to assume the Middle Stone was the repainted part and not the entire aircraft. As for the Sky Blue, I have this...

Users who are viewing this thread