**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 A6M5 Zero - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/32
Manufacturer / Model : Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero "Super Ace"
Extras : Eduard Seatbelt Set and Canopy masks.

The Subject for this GB will be one of the A6M5 Zeroes flown by one of Japans top aces Tetsuo Iwamoto in the Rabaul area in Jan, Feb….. period of 1944.

It is probable the aircraft flown by Iwamoto at this time were Mitsubishi A6M5 model 52 versions.
The first marked '2' reportedly with 60 victory markings on the fuselage and the second '4' carrying 18 victory markings as cited from his diary.

I have chosen to model 53-104 from the Hasegawa kit which seems to be the 'version' to date to be recognised as the closest reconstruction based on current evidence and possibly one photo in particular.

The exact markings of Iwamoto's Rabaul based Zeroes have not been confirmed positively to date, but various renditions have been put forward in artwork profiles and model kits over the years mainly from Hasegawa in all 3 scales and I have decided to wait no longer to model an Iwamoto Zero.

see 'info' below on which some of the reported detail is based.

Quote excerpts from the late David Aiken in correspondence with Japanese researchers over the years, noted below as they were posted. Portions which have been posted to some different websites at different times when the subject of Iwamoto's aircraft came up for discussion.

David_Aiken

"The struggle continues
Jul 11, 2009#3
In 1975, I read translated excerpts of Iwamoto's diary just after its publication. There were aircraft drawings which were to illustrate the text based on sketches made by Iwamoto before his death...
The raw sketches were not meant for today's modeller whose demand for detailed subvariant is never satisfied.
Thus the Japanese researchers continue in their struggle.
TAMIYA Zero 21 came out with the markings, but a photo of Iwamoto is as he stands in front of an Zero with an A6M5 antenna...
Further study confirms a Mitsubishi style paint scheme.
The kill markings and arrangement of kill styles were noted in the diary.
He cited have Rabaul-based combat in both a #2 and a #4 aircraft... which has finally been noted as his main Zero: "53-102" and [IIRC] the 18 victory "53-104"...
The latest is a study of the command marking... the jury is 'still out' in Japan."

David_Aiken
Posted June 6, 2010 (edited)
Aloha All,
Thought you might find of interest what the Japanese researchers are discovering...
The Iwamoto autobiography came out after his death. Within he cites the two Zeros which he used at Rabaul. One was "2" with a checkerboard of kills which he had sketched in his diary, and the other was "4" with 18 kills.
From that, the first kit markings was the Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 showing "2" as 253-102...later it was determined he flew two Mitsubishi A6M5a...(ie: straight camouflage). Then it was shown that the 253 had omitted the first digit and used 53 instead of 253. A photo of ZERO 52 at Rabaul shows 53-. The ZERO 21 from Rabaul display at the Ueno Science Museum has 53- marking on tail as well.
Motofumi Fukudomi made the artwork of 53-102 at:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~cocoro/sub103.htm
A magazine article. "Ace Iwamoto, Tetsuzo and Reisen" was printed in the September 2009 special edition of REKISHI KAIDO (History Highway)....new detail about a diagonal command stripe (or stripes) was cited.
Just recently an antique worn out photo, often printed in Japan...pointed out 53-104 was in the far right background. Note the 18 kill marks and...the newly found white (or yellow?) command stripe!
http://www.hobby-shop.jp/images/sw14126_01.jpg
NOW it is questioned whether 53-102 should ALSO have such a shotaicho white command stripe...or did he get raised to a buntaicho (two stripes)?
It is assumed that Hasegawa's 1-102 is based on when Iwamoto was with the 201 Kokutai. Iwamoto was with 201 Ku from November 1943 to February 1944 before he was transferred to 253 Ku. However, 201 Ku used a tail code "W1-" before they moved to Rabaul, then W1 was omitted in Rabaul. "1-102" is questionable as is the Nakajima paint scheme.
One sensei wrote, "52s sent to Rabaul were Mitsubishi made. Mitsubishi 52s made in Jan 44 were sent to Rabaul. Nakajima started production of 52 in the end of 1943. It is possible yet doubtful some Nakajima 52 were sent to Rabaul."
Thus the "Mitsubishi" straight paint scheme is correct for Iwamoto's two A6M5s at Rabaul. The diagonal white (or yellow?) stripes(s) is correct for his "4", yet to have this stripe(s) is still being discussed in Japan. Motofumi Fukudomi made new artwork based on the above "Ace Iwamoto, Tetsuzo and Reisen" article....send me an e-mail for this new atwork... PearlHarborHistory AT hotmail.com
Lots of questions still to be answered.
Cheers,
David Aiken, a Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc. 123homebusinessguide.com – My WordPress Blog

Osamu "Sam" Tagaya -one of my sensei- makes a great addition to my memory banks:
"Just about everything known about the planes he flew while at Rabaul comes from his own memoirs, published in book form in 1972 by Konnichi-No-Wadai Sha under the title Reisen Gekitsui-O. Everything since then is essentially educated guessing. Some of it is based on sound deductive reasoning. But, in the absence of hard evidence, it all remains conjectural.
"Following publication of Horrido and Blond Knight of Germany, Raymond Tolliver had plans to publish Iwamoto's memoirs in English, but he never finished. Some years ago, Henry Sakaida and I discussed teaming up to pick up where Ray Tolliver left off and produce a biography of Iwamoto in English based on his memoirs. But, subsequently, we both got busy with other projects, so that idea remains shelved for now.
"The only Zero model specifically mentioned by Iwamoto in his own writings is the Model 21 he flew to Rabaul (Lakunai) on 14 November, 1943 from Truk as part of the 16-plane detachment of 281 Kokutai sent as reinforcements to Rabaul. These planes and pilots were absorbed into 201 Kokutai upon arrival. It is assumed from the context of Iwamoto's writings, although never explicitly stated in his memoirs, that he continued to fly this Model 21, or one of the Model 21s delivered, after assignment to 201 Ku.
"It is within the time frame of his assignment to 201 Ku that Iwamoto mentions the practice of painting cherry blossom 'kill' markings on the rear fuselages of planes at Rabaul. He states that regular (i.e. five-petaled) cherry blossoms stood for small (i.e. single-engined) aircraft, while large (i.e. multi-engined) aircraft were represented by multi-layered yae zakura. He goes on to say that "at this time, my plane had the most, and counted over 60". On 11 December 1943 (according to Iwamoto), this plane lost power after take-off and Iwamoto was nearly killed when he was bounced by a division of F4Us while struggling with this disadvantage. He managed to fly back to base, but the plane suffered 167 hits and was deemed beyond repair. "So I had to bid farewell to my plane with 60 plus 'kill' markings on it" says Iwamoto. Note, however, that he leaves no record of the tail number for this aircraft.
"Iwamoto comes down with malaria and dengue fever in the evening of his narrow escape from death, and spends about a week in bed. Meanwhile, he is transferred to 204 Ku on 15 December. After returning to flight duty, he racks up more 'kills', and in the context of late December 1943/early January 1944, says "my new replacement aircraft already has nearly 40 'kill' markings on it". He does not, however, record the model or tail number for this aircraft.
"Iwamoto is transferred to 253 Kokutai on 25 January 1944 and moves to Tobera. He and the other transferees from 204 bring their planes with them, so it is possible that Iwamoto continues to fly his replacement aircraft with the "nearly 40" kill markings on it mentioned earlier, but we cannot be sure. He stays with 253 until the entire unit is pulled back to Truk on 21 February 1944. It is in the context of this period that Iwamoto mentions the only two specific tail numbers recorded in his memoirs. In the context of sometime during January 1944, he says "the number of 'kill' markings on my plane reached sixty, no less than on my previous plane. But after inspection by the maintenance crew, it was decided to replace the engine, so I had to part with 253-102 for awhile and use 253-104 instead". Again, there is no specific mention of the exact models of Zeros involved.
"I hope this goes some way to clarifying the provenance of all the artwork floating around on model kits and modeling magazines out there, and to put any urban legends to rest.
"Cheers,
Sam"
Edited June 6, 2010 by David_Aiken

The Kit, and 2 profiles from a Japanese site, I'm going to do the lower Version based on the reported photo' showing a line up of Zeroes carrying the Diagonal strip with 53-104 cited as being in the upper portion of the said photo which I have from the internet...don't recall the actual source though.
A6M5 Super Ace.jpg
Iwamoto Profiles_53-104_a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back