**** DONE: GB-43 1:48 P-51D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ID stripes sprayed on. I still have to do the lower wing ones after the Canuck game. OD anti-glare panel and the time to decal

001.JPG

002.JPG

nucks.png

Bottom stripes to do and then something I've never done before, painting the wheel wells after the model has been painted. The reason for this is I've never been completely successful masking off the wells prior to painting. I've got tape wide enough to cover the well and then I'll cut out the shape and spray

Tissue, dampened, and pushed into the area. Cover with tape if needed. Once sprayed, the tissue will harden, and can be removed later. There may be some retouching required, but easier than having to repaint the whole area.
Alternatively, trace the outline of the gear doors ( or any other hatch, opening etc) onto paper or thin card, cur out, and fit to the wells, securing with PVA.
Spray, and remove these masks when required, and minimum re-touching if needed.

Thanks guys. I must have used a cheap brand of tissue. I tried the method twice and while it worked great I had scores of little bits of tissue that I failed to completely get rid of. In the end here I'm brush painting as I noticed a small lip going all the way around the wheel wells and I felt I could make a clean job of masking. I used a No.2 round to paint the lip and a larger round to do the rest in YZC. Going neater than expected. Second coat, detail painting and weathering to follow shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back