**** DONE: GB-43 1:48 P-51D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.... I've also never noticed that piping on the drop tank before. Is it on the same side on the other wing or opposite side?

Here is a pic of another P-51D with the kind of fuel tanks ( see the link ) . I enlarged the areas with them to show the piping there better. It can be noticed that the starboard tank has similar parts attached . It can be seen at the back area. However I haven't found any clear and close up shot for the starboard underwing fuel tank showing its both sides.. but it seems that the piping was attached there too and on the same side of the rack like the port one..

P-51D_44-15587_Stasia.jpg

P-51D_44-15587_Stasia_.jpg

the pic source: P-51D 44-15587 Stasia Ii of the 352nd Fighter Squadron 353rd Fighter Group Pilot Capt Anthony Rosatone | World War Photos

Here's a modern pic of the piping. There is a glass breakaway piece toward the back on the main line. I'm trying to see if I can find something for the starboard side but my guess would be that the pipes run down the inside as the tanks are all identical and the piping entry is offset to port..

glass_break_away.jpg

Drop tank 'plumbing' was slightly different depending what type of tank was used. There's s feed and pressure line, with a glass section in rubber hose, where the union to the wing is, intended to break when jettisoned.
The 108 gal metal and paper tanks had a longer feed pipe to the aft section.
Below is one of Gary's pics, showing the plumbing on the 108 gal tank. I have some of my own pics showing the 75 gal 'teardrop' tank if you need them.
I'd need to check, but I think the plumbing was on the outer side on both tanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add - if the 108 gal tank has ribs on the front, then it's the 'paper' type, and would be painted dull aluminium. If it's smooth, then it's the steel tank, and would be painted Neutral Gray.

P51 drop tank connections..jpg

Thanks Hugh. Finishing up the drop tanks. Repainted Tamiya "Flat Aluminum" with Tamiya "Can't Even See it But I Tell Ya its Chrome Silver" bands. I'll use this for the fuel lines...

umm.png

If you want to emphasise the straps on the tanks, they were often finished in what appeared to be lead oxide primer (dull rust red brown) or grey primer.
I was almost out of lead wire, so recently bought some reels of it from a fishing tackle outlet. A 4 meter reel cost less than the small packs of strands of wire, and easier to use, as it shouldn't tangle and snag, as the pre-cut stuff sometimes does, in the packet.

Discussion here on Paper Drop Tanks...P-51 Paper Drop Tank Colour Question
What I get out of it is that the red on the tanks is for alignment purposes; strap the tank on, see no red.....good to go. I agree, hanger straps tend to be some kind of grey to aluminum colour though I have seen photos of dark coloured straps

Hidden in one or more of my books, somewhere, are a couple of period colour pics, which show the red oxide type colour, as well as grey, and a dull, greyish bare metal.

Found a colour photo with one with red belonging to the 13th Photographic Squadron. Problem with this one is the rudder and that area around the exhausts that is usually discoloured is also red, might be a squadron thang. Two others were possibly red but they were in shadow. Saw one that was either dark blue or black

Boredom. I know mine were an aluminum colour so here they are...

1570041167026.png

The one on the left had a good seam showing and was impossible to remove without damaging the raised lines on either side. I may try and lay some stretch sprue over the damaged parts. Weekend is over, camp bus in 2½hrs. Have a good week all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back