**** DONE: GB-43 1:48 P-51D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

goodjob.gif

After the conversation about the mini hand drill I got curios, and since my drill bit collection leaves a bit to be desired, I picked up a set of those tungsten bits off Ebay, which just arrived. By the looks of it appears to me that the shank of yours is the same size as mine, if so I'd say you are good to go.
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg

You might notice the drill end of the smallest bit is missing, I stuck it in my finger trying to open the box and broke it off before I even got a chance to take it out and stick it in the drill
sAng_rant.gif
so I figure this is not a good sign, but whats left of it still works better then any bit I have in the rest of my collection so I ordered up a few (10
default_whistle.gif
) more replacements just to be on the safe side.

Have fun at camp ( Granada )
default_frantic.gif

Thanks Hugh. Painted the spinner and nose section. I thought I had Tamiya Flat Red but its gloss. Not a fan of gloss paint as I had trouble figuring out when to add another coat and not having it run but in the end patience paid off. When dry I'll mask and spray the anti-glare panel. Also added another variant of aluminum to the two small wing panels.

001.JPG

Painted the inside of the main gear doors Tamiya Chrome Silver and Flat Aluminum. I've also seen photos of the insides with a Yellow Zinc Chromate strip and just one silver shade overall.

004.JPG

Your fit and finish are superb Geo as the silver is revealing nothing but smooth surfaces and fine details. A tip for painting red; it looks as though you painted it straight onto the silver but if you lay down a coat of white first, the red finishes up much more vibrant with fewer coats.

Much appreciated. That was my original plan but in the past I have always had the white show up no matter how I mask and then its a case of trying to do touch ups. In hindsight I should have done the white first, then red, NMF and finally the glare panel but I didn't want to leave the tape on the red for that long

Thank you Bill and Wayne. Today I learned the the cuffs on the propellers of some P-51s, such as mine were rubber. After painting the blade tips white and then yellow I masked them off. Here's a chance to show a variation between cuffs and blades. First I painted the cuffs Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black. When dry I painted the blades XF-69 Nato Black. There is a difference when comparing the bottles, not so much on the blades.

1570838715205.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back