**** DONE: GB-45 1/48 Gloster Gladiator - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Greg. It actually wasn't too bad but this was the "easy" part since my fat fingers weren't hindered by an upper wing. Lots of fun to come yet....

Good stuff Andy. Think I'll have to find some of that elastic stuff - there's a sewing machine / supplies shop just around 200 meters from me, so may find some there.

It was pointed out to me that the Norwegian Gladiators featured a larger bulge at the machine gun location on the port side only. Not sure why but a check of the photos confirms this. As a result, I sliced off the port bulge and made a new one out of thick styrene card. To do this, I eyeballed the size and shape, cut a piece of card and stuck it onto a piece of sprue with CA:

After shaping, I removed it, hollowed out the glue face and stuck it to the side. Once dry. I'll fine tune the shape a bit and remove the flat spot.

The real aircraft:

It looks like there's another opening at the 10 o'clock position of the bulge that I'll need to look into.

The starboard side remains the same.

Thanks for looking!

It was pointed out to me that the Norwegian Gladiators featured a larger bulge at the machine gun location on the port side only.

The starboard side remains the same.

Humm I'm not sure if it is correct Andy. I have enlarged pics with both the starboard and port bulge and IMHO these were of the same size. I mean these both were large. Anyway, the starboard bulge seems to be larger than the one moulded on the model fuselage. What is more the port blister seems to be located a little bit up comparing to the port one.

IMHO the starboard bulge for the 433 should be like the one for the damaged 429.

the pic source: Ett fly på bakken, Gloster Gladiator, fly nr.429, noe skadet etter landing. Noen personer ved flyet.

I did see that but felt it was inconclusive. I'm still talking to the Norwegian fellow who pointed this out to me. Starboard pictures of other Norwegian Gladiators do show the smaller bulge. What's more, a couple show a second bulge which I'm also asking about.

Yep that's true. A couple of them had the two small bulges there... like the 423.

But the enlarged shot of the 433 posted above reveals that there weren't two but one blister only and the size of the starboard bulge seems to be the same like for the port one . I have marked for you reference lines to show how large the blister was there. The lines are of the panel lines at the top and bottom of the MG outlet. The shot is a liitle bit too blurry so I also marked the proximate shape of the blister following its partially seen front edge. The same lines I added to the pic of damaged 429. I would say the size of the bulge and location for both Gladiators were the same. For sure the starboard blister was larger than the one you decided to leave on the model. The model one fits between the two panel lines while the one in the image clearly doesn't.

Additionally the reference lines show that the port bulge was slightly moved down comparing to location of the starboard blister. The top line of the MG outlet panel reaches the top edge of the bulge. Contrary to that the starboard one is moved a little bit down and doesn't stick to the top of the blister..

Yes I agree, the protruded pipe can be noticed in the pic of the damaged 429 and in the first image of the post #137

Wojtek, you must have edited your initial post on that subject as I did not see the enlarged pic of 429 when I responded. Definitely some different styles there. Need to dig a bit. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread