**** DONE: GB-47 1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc - WW2 D-Day and After - Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice job on those Glenn. I have a spare 1/48 set from one of my kits which I can drop in the mail for you if you are in the mood to change them.

20201123_084622.jpg

...... In the pic posted, the one under the port wing seems to be black, with the starboard probably white, therefore matching the AEAF stripes.....

Good observation Terry but I would suggest that, given that the tanks and stripes should be in the same position on each wing, it might be that the inboard face of each tank is black and the outboard face white with a demarcation on the vertical centerline of the tank and pylon.

A bit big for Glenn's 1/72nd scale model I think !

Just had another look at the photo, and I think you may be right Andy. Have a look at the tank under the port wing - it looks like it is white on the outer face, with the white also visible on the outer side of the pylon. Someone actually took the time to do the demarcation of both colours.

Thanks a bunch guys, I think your both right about the tanks being black on the inner face and white on the outer, and just when I thought I was done with all the masking. :dontknow:
A close look at Terry's drawing and picture show that my tank is not quite right, but its close, and at this point the only alternative is no tanks at all. Maybe they will look better if I add those straps.
What you said Terry about the tanks being used as containers for the mail somehow rings a bell. For some reason when I first saw the picture I posted above that's how I saw them, not at fuel tanks, and why would a mail plane need extra fuel tanks just to make a hop across the channel?

I agree Glenn. I wish I could remember which book the pics and info are in, as I'm fairly sure it shows or describes the tanks being used as containers for mail bags etc.

I've decided to leave the tanks as they are with out the straps for two reasons.
First, zooming in on that photo I can't see any evidence of straps and also the shape of the tank is a bit different from the picture and drawing Terry posted making me think more that it IS a container for mail, not a fuel tank.
Second I don't have time to mess around with it any more 8-[
I'm still going to paint them in the two tone black & white to match the invasion stripes

Back to the build progress.
I finished up the decals last night and put on a last coat of Future this morning.

P1013122.JPG

Added pastel exhaust stains and then the landing gear, cannon, exhaust stacks, and tanks/mail bins. I like the way the tanks turned out, painted black and white to match the invasion stripes. Still some small bits and touch-up painting to do.

P1013126.JPG
P1013129.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back