**** DONE: GB-49 1/32 Fw190D-9 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
GB-49 1/32 Fw190D-9 Red 13 JV44 Favourite Aircraft of WWII
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/32
Manufacturer / Model : Hasegawa Fw190D-9
Extras : Eduard Canopy Mask & Seatbelts, Yahu Instrument Panel.

Time to finally get in on the act.....

My Favourite Series of Aircraft has always been the Fw190D / Ta152, in the last Named GB I did a Ta152, this time around an Fw190D-9.
The subject RED 13 of JV44 is most certainly one of my favourite aircraft, strangely I have not modelled this or any of the other JV44 D Series aircraft to date….there has certainly been changes to previous reference as new images and information have come to light, but I think the current data on Red 13 is for most part now concrete…..but you never know….
Red 13 goes way back to the time of the release of EXPERTEN DECALS 48-1 "History, Camouflage, and Markings of JV44 and JG 6 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9's by David E Brown & David Wadman in 1993 where a Single Photo of this aircraft was printed along with several of Red 1, known then as Black 1.
Red 13 has been identified over time with no less than 4 Werk Nummern, starting with 400240 in the Experten release followed by 213240 by Jerry Crandall and tentatively 211040 by JaPo and finally 210240 again by Jerry when a better Photo of the Tail appeared allowing enhancement to confirm this Dora's identity.
Oberleutnant Klaus Faber collected this D-9, on his way to Munchen-Riem where he was to report to Generalleutnant Adolf Galland and JV44 in mid April 1945, it became his personal aircraft although other flew it as well.
The aircraft then had it's Red 13 applied along with the lower surfaces repainted Red with White stripes to make the aircraft more visible and identifiable to the airfields surrounding Flak units while operating in its intended role flying protective cover for Adolf Galland's JV44 Me262's during their Takeoff and landings.
It was intended to be Red 5 in line with the numerical sequence of the other Dora's, but Faber insisted on it being Red 13.
This mission profile of the D-9's only lasted a few weeks before Red 13 and 3 flew to Ainring airfield and were found there at the end of the war, where the First Images of Red 13 were taken.
The image below and it's close up enhancement is the first reported photo of Red 13 to be published which set in motion the fascinating story of the Red striped Fw190D series aircraft of JV44.
It is used solely for Historical reference and education of this fascinating aircraft.
Primary Sources : which I have them all…..
Experten decals Publication : 48-1 History, Camouflage and Markings of the JV44 and JG 6 Focke Wulf 190 D-9's
Eagle Editions : Eagle Files EF 1 Doras of the Galland Circus
Eagle Editions : The Focke Wulf Fw190Dora Volume 2 With much updated information
JaPo : Focke Wulf Fw190D camouflage and Markings Volume 1
And can be found quite easily in an internet search for "Red 13 JV44" where you will find numerous additional images.

Attachments

• SCN_0062aaa.jpg
    SCN_0062aaa.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 76
  • SCN_0062bbb.jpg
    SCN_0062bbb.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Guys, well I've actually got a fair bit done over the past weeks so will get started on the progress.....

First up assembly of the rear engine bay area seen through the wheel wells....the assembly is dry fitted in the last 2 pics so i can still get some paint in there....

1_Engine Bay Assy_7717.jpg
2_Engine Bay Assy_7718.jpg
3_Engine Bay Assy_7668.jpg
4_Engine bay Assy_7669.jpg
5_Engine Bay Assy_7719.jpg
6_Engine Bay Assy_7720.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back