**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It really is taking shape Terry - fantastic detail - I am in awe!!

Bad luck there Terry. I'd look at trying to straighten the line on the fuselage where the canopy meets it rather than fiddling with the brittle clear part.

Thanks Max.

Andy, I've managed to trim the bottom of the Airfix windscreen to just about fit ( the plastic was surprisingly soft and fairly easy to carve ), and it could be trimmed further - any remaining gaps could be filled with stretched, clear sprue and blended-in with PVA.
I was very reluctant to trim the fuselage, just in case the Airfix part didn't work out, and I'm very glad I didn't do this !
Further test fitting of the trimmed Airfix canopy shows that it's too narrow at the rear, sitting almost inside the edges of the cockpit sill, and this would be extremely difficult to fill convincingly enough to look acceptable.
The pics below show this, and ignore the feint scratches on the windscreen - these would easily polish out.
Consequently, I've decided to use the Tamiya kit canopy, and adapt the Airfix "blown" side windows to fit as best as possible.

Wish I could help Terry but the only parts that I have are the Revell side panels mentioned earlier and a full Tamiya FB canopy with the flat windscreen. If you think any of this can be if use, just shout.

Thanks, but the kit canopy with the Airfix side windows should work. Fortunately, I have another Tamiya B.IV kit, with a Rob Taurus vac-formed canopy, so the kit canopy is spare.
If it doesn't work, then the kit canopy can at least be used with the kit "blister" side windows - not exactly accurate for a B.XVI, but better than no canopy !
I'll soon find out, as I'm about to start fiddling with the bits and pieces ..........................

Getting there with the canopy.
The Airfix side windows needed a little trimming around the edges in order to fit into the Tamiya canopy openings, but they've been attached, using Tamiya extra thin cement, very carefully applied, in stages, around the edges.
Once this has fully set, the joints will be filled with a bead of PVA.
Initial test fitting shows that the bottom edges of the side windows need to be trimmed very slightly, particularly at the front joint, to allow the canopy and windscreen to "bed down" properly. This will be done once fully set and the joints filled.
I'm assuming that the joints with the canopy and side windows will not be very strong, so fitting to the fuselage, and more importantly, masking, and removal of the masks, will need extra care. I'll probably mask and paint the canopy off the model, and then fit after painting and finishing the model, using the damaged canopy to mask the cockpit when spraying.
Pics below show how things are so far.

Pics 1 and 2. The Airfix "blown" side windows attached to the spare Tamiya kit canopy, with a Tamiya side "blister" window for comparison.
Pic 3. Initial test fitting, showing that the bottom edge of the side window needs to be filed and sanded to allow it to bed down ( white arrows ), and that the joint between side window and windscreen needs to be filled with PVA ( yellow arrow ).
Pic 4. Top view, showing the shape of the side windows.

That's all for now, but I hope to get this bit finished, and the nose glazing and windows masked and fitted some time tomorrow, and then move on to the final bits before preparing for painting the model.

Sorry for the late reply. I did not get pinged that this was responded to.

But CBD (Cannabidiol) is an extract of the Cannabis plant, aka. marijuana. Many US states prohibited its distribution for various reasons. Since CBD oils have become available that do not have the mind altering TCH as part of the mix it has been slowly accepted by many states. Texas being one of them, thankfully. I don't know about Canada, but it seems to be a mostly liberal society and I would expect that they would allow? Believe me., there have been many nights that the pains from the joints (mostly knee) have kept me awake. An application of a small amount if a CBD infused balm reduces the pains to almost zero in minutes. Look for a shop that has the maximum CBD% in the mix. This is non addictive, unless you get addicted to not having pains!

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the info Ralph. Cannabis-based meds are not yet legal in the UK, although I believe there is a move to make some so.
A few beers often helps, but then there's the risk that a Mosquito might become a Mistakeo !

Got the bottom of the canopy filed and sanded, and fit looks to be fairly good. A little more trimming and it should be fine.
The joints appear to be stronger than I anticipated, so I may be able to mask and fit before painting the model, which is my preferred method.
If all goes to plan, I may have some further up-date pics later tonight.

Thanks Glenn.
I was hoping to have the canopy and nose glazing masked and fitted by now, but I'm a bit too stiff for such delicate work at the moment.
There's been a dramatic change in the weather - from 20C and sunny, to 8C, with the accompanying pressure change, and I can really feel the difference; it feels like my muscles are being squeezed by a powerful squeezing thing !!
I'll see how I feel later, otherwise, it'll be tomorrow before any more progress.

Sorry for the lack of up-dates chaps - been struggling a bit these last few days, probably due to the change in the weather, with a temperature drop of around 17C average. It's currently 2C here, and set to drop to -2C overnight. Consequently, my hands are a bit too stiff and tender for delicate work at the moment.
However, I have managed to get the bottom edge of the canopy side screens filed and sanded, and it now fits OK. But I did dislodge the side screens, twice so far, and need to re-fit them and then mask the canopy, and hope that the whole lot doesn't come apart again when the masks are finally removed !
I should be back in a day o so, with , I hope, a lot more progress to show.

Users who are viewing this thread