**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, after two frustrating weeks of not being able to do any modelling, due to stiff hands and some pain, I've finally made some progress.

The Airfix side windows have been trimmed and the canopy now fits - sort of - and has been fixed in place. The nose blister has been masked and fitted, and the nose side windows fitted.
The Tamiya kit provides decals to simulate the internal rear canopy frames, which I tried to use, but they broke up, and were a pain to try to align inside the canopy. I considered using painted clear adhesive tape, as I have in the past, but I reckoned that manipulating this could possibly dislodge the side windows, which do not have a very secure joint. I'd already knocked them off twice !
Therefore, I intend to mask and paint these, on the outside, and then gloss clear coat to give the impression they are on the inside, and hope this works convincingly enough !
The nose side windows were a real paint to fit, and eventually needed to be filed down around the edges, to allow a flush fit. To anyone building this kit, I would suggest it would be better to fit these side windows to the nose fuselage halves, before continuing with construction, and mask as required.
Once all the transparent parts have fully set, the joints, particularly on the canopy, will have a bread of PVA applied, in order to blend them in and make the joint more secure. The nose windows and canopy will then be masked, something I prefer to do before fitting to the fuselage, and the internal frames colours painted.

The pics below show the state of things so far and, once all the transparencies are finally sorted, I should be able to complete the construction for this stage, adding the tail-planes and temporarily fitting the main wings, and prepare for the first stage of painting.
Back soon ( ish ) ..................

Mosuito B.XVI build 002.JPG
Mosuito B.XVI build 003.JPG
Mosuito B.XVI build 004.JPG

Thanks chaps.
Currently working on the slow, tedious job of masking the canopy and sealing and blending joints, and hope to have a further up-date probably tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, after two frustrating weeks of not being able to do any modelling, due to stiff hands and some pain, I've finally made some progress.

The Airfix side windows have been trimmed and the canopy now fits - sort of - and has been fixed in place. The nose blister has been masked and fitted, and the nose side windows fitted.
The Tamiya kit provides decals to simulate the internal rear canopy frames, which I tried to use, but they broke up, and were a pain to try to align inside the canopy. I considered using painted clear adhesive tape, as I have in the past, but I reckoned that manipulating this could possibly dislodge the side windows, which do not have a very secure joint. I'd already knocked them off twice !
Therefore, I intend to mask and paint these, on the outside, and then gloss clear coat to give the impression they are on the inside, and hope this works convincingly enough !
The nose side windows were a real paint to fit, and eventually needed to be filed down around the edges, to allow a flush fit. To anyone building this kit, I would suggest it would be better to fit these side windows to the nose fuselage halves, before continuing with construction, and mask as required.
Once all the transparent parts have fully set, the joints, particularly on the canopy, will have a bread of PVA applied, in order to blend them in and make the joint more secure. The nose windows and canopy will then be masked, something I prefer to do before fitting to the fuselage, and the internal frames colours painted.

The pics below show the state of things so far and, once all the transparencies are finally sorted, I should be able to complete the construction for this stage, adding the tail-planes and temporarily fitting the main wings, and prepare for the first stage of painting.
Back soon ( ish ) ..................

View attachment 620333View attachment 620334View attachment 620335
I was getting worried Terry as we hadnt seen you - just about to text you! Smashing job as ever!!!

Thanks again chaps.

The canopy is now masked - after more than five hours of careful fiddling !!
The side windows have also been masked, and all joints and any gaps filled with PVA. When this had set, the internal frame colour was painted, including those rear frames that will be visible, which are supposed to be inside the canopy - these will be masked over, once dry, before painting the model and external canopy frames, and then given a gloss clear coat later, which I hope will be acceptable enough to simulate the internal frames.
The entrance hatch has been "plugged" with a paper mask and PVA, and the cockpit cold air intake scoop added to the port side, made from plastic rod carved and sanded to shape. There's still a little more work to do on the canopy and side window joints, where more PVA is needed to blend-in the frames to the fuselage, and this will be done once the paint has fully dried and hardened.
The tail-planes are assembled, and await fitting, which will be done once the work on the canopy is completed, and then the model can be prepared for the first stage of painting, which I hope to get done over the weekend.
The pics below show the progress to date, with the captions explaining what's what.

Pics 1 to 3. Canopy and side windows masked and joints / gaps filled with PVA, and the cockpit cold air intake made and fitted.
Pic 4. Entrance hatch sealed with paper and PVA.
Pics 5 and 6. Canopy, the side window and nose blister frames painted in the interior colour. The red dots show where other internal frames need to be added, which will be done later. The Yellow arrows indicate where a further application of PVA is required, to blend-in the frames to the fuselage, and some more PVA will also be applied to a couple of spots on the nose side windows. The white arrows show the rear internal frames, which will be masked over before painting the model.
Pic 7. Tail-planes ready for fitting, with the masking tape identifying the port side, to ensure correct orientation.

All being well, I hope to post a further up-date sometime over the weekend. Thanks again for your interest.

Mosquito B.XVI build. 001.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 002.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 004.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 003.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 005.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 006.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build. 009.JPG

Thanks all.
Still working on the joint of the windscreen to fuselage, and almost there.
I need to decide on what to use for the carb intake ice guards - the "Brengun" conversion kit includes PE parts for these, although they look a tad large, and the "mesh" is a bit too coarse for scale. Alternatively, the Tamiya kit parts could be adapted and used, although they are "solid" plastic parts.
Once I've decided, they will be fitted, as this needs to be done before painting the model. With luck, I should be able to start to start the first stage of painting either later tonight, or tomorrow, and I'll post pics then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back