**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all.
Just getting ready to spray the Medium Sea Grey underside colour. I had hoped to get this done earlier today, let it fully dry, and then mask ready for the upper surface colours, but "life" got in the way, delaying things.
Max, it'll be good to meet John, and I hope he likes the model. BTW, sent you an e-mail re arrangements for Sywell etc.

Just slightly, which is why I'm burning the midnight lubricant, and trying to get as much done as possible.
Had a long session a few hours earlier, spraying the Medium Sea Grey undersides. It seemed to be very hard work, with a fairly weak spray pattern, and was taking forever - almost two hours by the time I'd finished, although to be fair, some of this was die to the awkward angles on the undersides, particularly the nacelles and wing tanks.
I eventually realised that Mr. Numpty hadn't fully locked the needle clutch on the airbrush, which meant that the needle wasn't retracting properly, and progressively slipping, hence slow paint flow !
Got it sorted, and the MSG has now been done, with two coats going on smoothly. The paint has had six hours drying time so far and, as I'm wide awake at 04.00 hrs,, and working on other bits for the model, if the paint is fully hardened in another hour or so, I'll mask the demarcation between upper and lower surfaces, and pencil-in the upper camouflage pattern.
I suspect that the masking will take some time, as the Percival- built aircraft had a different demarcation pattern, and the masking on the engine nacelles, in particular, will be a touch tricky.
Got a lot to do later today, so I probably won't get around to spraying the first upper surface colour until some time tonight, if I'm still awake and mobile, otherwise it'll be done on Friday.

Thanks Wayne.

I was able to mask the demarcation between upper and lower surfaces, which, as I suspected, took quite some time, and sprayed the Ocean Grey earlier this morning. I decided it would be easier to spray this overall on the upper surfaces, rather than just spray those areas requiring this colour.
The paints used are the excellent "Colourcoats" enamels, formerly WEM, now handled by Sovereign Hobbies. These take a little longer to fully harden, but I'm hoping I can get the camouflage pattern marked out, in pencil, later tonight, and then get the Dark Green done.
The model is currently drying, so I can't move it to take any photos just yet, but I should have some pics later tonight, if all goes to plan.

Thanks again to all for the interest in this build, and I should be back later.

Couple of pics showing the progress to date, with the Medium Sea Grey undersides masked for the camouflage demarcation as painted on Percival-built Mosquitos, and the upper surfaces sprayed in "Colourcoats" Ocean Grey enamel.
The upper surface paint is still drying in this photo. I'll see what it's like later tonight and, if hard enough, the camouflage pattern will be marked out in pencil, and the Dark Green sprayed freehand.

Thanks chaps, it's appreciated.

I let the model stand overnight and today, to ensure the paint is fully hardened, as I didn't want to risk damaging the surface when drawing the camouflage pattern in pencil. I'm now part-way through doing this, and getting ready to spray the Dark Green, and hope to have some pics later tonight.

Thanks Hugh.

The main painting is now complete, apart from some minor re-touching needed around the wing tanks.
The Percival Aircraft style of camouflage pattern was marked out in pencil, just about visible in the pics below, and the Dark Green was then sprayed free-hand ( no masks ), again using "Colourcoats" enamel. It was a little awkward at times, due to some of the angles around such areas as the inner engine cowlings, but no major dramas, and the paint went on nicely.
The pics below show how the model looks so far, and my apologies for the poor lighting - one of the desk lamp bulbs died just as I started to take the pics, and then the camera batteries died when the bulb was replaced, so I've had to post those shots taken with just one lamp !

I'll let the paint fully harden for around 8 to 10 hours, and then do some very light panel line work, and a little subtle weathering and staining - not much, as this was a relatively new aircraft - before applying a gloss clear coat, ready for the decals. With luck, I might get to the decal stage sometime over this long weekend, with Monday being a public holiday here in the UK.
Thanks again to all for the continued interest and kind comments, and I'll be back sometime over the weekend.

It is really starting to take shape Terry - fabulous work!!

Users who are viewing this thread