**** DONE: GB-51 1/72 XP-79 - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: RD Models XP-79B Flying Ram
Scale: 1/72nd
Accessories: Scratch built chin rest
The XP-70 was another of Jack Northrop's flying wings. The design started out as the rocket powered MX-334. Then redesigned with two Westinghouse 19B turbojets to become the XP-79. The Aircraft had a wingspan of 38 feet and a length of 14 feet and a proposed maximum speed of 447 mph. The pilot lay in the prone position to be able to withstand greater G force. It was constructed with welded magnesium making for a very strong structure. The intention to use the P-79 as a flying battering ram to chop off the wings or tail of enemy bombers has been widely stated but is a myth for the most part. Apparently Jack Northrop mentioned this once in a letter to the Air Force as a posable way to use it but that's as far as it went.
On it's first test flight the sole XP-79 lost control for unknown reasons while doing a slow roll and crashed. The test pilot, Harry Crosby bailed out but was struck by the aircraft and killed. The XP-79 project was than canceled.
P1013308.JPG
xp-79 art (1).jpg
xp-79b.jpg
xp-79 2.jpg
Xp-79 (1).jpg
oRSl5_VeMmXJbGpitjsJ3crkKXl8gtDU6LoF6zhgx9c.jpg
XP-79_on_Ramp.JPG

Last edited:
I made a pretty good start on this one. The interior, what there is of it is done and it will be ready to glue the upper and lower halves together as soon as add some lead in the forward ends of the engine compartments to keep the nose down.

P1030845.JPG

Looking at that close up of the front it appears that there was a chin rest for the pilot that was not included in the kit. might see if i can scratch something up.

I've made a lot of progress today

First, the chin rest after I carved it out of a bit of sprue before I cut it loose

P1013383.JPG

The chin rest installed along with as much lead as I could squeeze into the engine conpartments.

P1013384.JPG
P1013385.JPG

Here the jet exhaust cones have been painted and installed. I would be lost without my needle nosed tweezers doing this work

P1013389.JPG

The wing glued up and the jet intakes installed. Now I have to wait a few days for the glued plastic to completely harden before I start working on the joints.

P1013390.JPG
P1013391.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back