**** DONE: GB-51 1/72 Caproni Campini - No Propellers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I must do ad I am told by my master! She rules a tight ship.

IMG_20210912_221620_01_copy_800x600.jpg

This kit has been annoying. It's such a combination of good quality and crap, the wings are perfect the fuselage particularly around the tail area looked like it was moulded using a shovel. The cockpit canopy was just a shapeless blob. Then we come to the decals they are nicely printed sharp and in register but all 4 wing decals are printed facing the same way. The Italian fascio axe blade should be handed to point to the wingtip. If I hadn't just been to the dentist I would grind my teeth.😤
IMG_20210916_140758120.jpg

Stu .. what is wrong with the Italian markings ? I would say these look correct.

The 2 pairs of wing markings top left of the sheet. Two of them should point left and two right so the fascio axe blade can point to the wingtip. They all point right perfect for the right wing but wrong for the left wing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Stu I see what you are talking about, though I did have to look it up.

italy_1940.gif

Have you tried printing your own? Decal paper and film and you can get what you want. Just a thought.

My printer is a cheap nasty thing which usually causes me blood pressure problems when I try to use it 🤣

The 2 pairs of wing markings top left of the sheet. Two of them should point left and two right so the fascio axe blade can point to the wingtip. They all point right perfect for the right wing but wrong for the left wing.

Grasped...

The straboard top one ...
CCstarboardtop.jpg

The starboard bottom one ...
CCstarboardbottom.jpg

The port top one ...
CCporttop.jpg

The port bottom one ...
CCportbottom.jpg

Sorry Don, I can't agree. The decal markings for the port bottom and starboard top are correct. But those for the starboard bottom and port top markings should be reversed. However it is strange because the Valom kit no.72073 comes with the correct printed markings. I have notice that the kit number on the Stu's decal sheet is Valom 72053. There is sometning wrong with that because the Valom kit no. 72053 is the Yokosuka K5Y2 Willow.

VALOM7273_decals.JPG

the source: the net.

This kit has been annoying. It's such a combination of good quality and crap, the wings are perfect the fuselage particularly around the tail area looked like it was moulded using a shovel. The cockpit canopy was just a shapeless blob. Then we come to the decals they are nicely printed sharp and in register but all 4 wing decals are printed facing the same way. The Italian fascio axe blade should be handed to point to the wingtip. If I hadn't just been to the dentist I would grind my teeth.😤View attachment 641734
I remember talking with somebody else here about a nice model of an Italian a/c but with wrong roundels. It's obviously not a single case and some of the kit manufacturers don't have a clue about the details.
You might be lucky in this case, because the Italian insignia (roundels) are transparent and not with a white background. I've done similar "magic" before with a swastika printed reversed. When working with the decals, just turn them "back to front"after taking them out of the water. You can still use the glue from the original decal but what I will do is "seal" the decals with some 'Future' on the model. Or what some people do, use 'Future' to glue the decal in place. I believe/hope there is no other colour under the black markings - sometimes when you reverse decals you see a different base colour.
You can give it a try with some of the black numbers you don't need. I hope it will work.
Cheers!

I remember talking with somebody else here about a nice model of an Italian a/c but with wrong roundels. It's obviously not a single case and some of the kit manufacturers don't have a clue about the details.
You might be lucky in this case, because the Italian insignia (roundels) are transparent and not with a white background. I've done similar "magic" before with a swastika printed reversed. When working with the decals, just turn them "back to front"after taking them out of the water. You can still use the glue from the original decal but what I will do is "seal" the decals with some 'Future' on the model. Or what some people do, use 'Future' to glue the decal in place. I believe/hope there is no other colour under the black markings - sometimes when you reverse decals you see a different base colour.
You can give it a try with some of the black numbers you don't need. I hope it will work.
Cheers!
I will give that a try tonight, I have nothing to lose. I have had a quick look and Italian fascist markings seem to be quite rare the earlier and later rondels seem to be much more common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back